PDA

View Full Version : Is he sleeping? Relaxed? Should I worry?

Jenjen79
09-24-2015, 10:55 PM
Ok, sorry for the noob question, I have had this adorable little guy for just over a month. I handle him a lot. Like 2-3 times a day, and usually he's all over the place, exploring everything he possibly can, but over the past week, he has been very relaxed. Almost too relaxed!

He still squirms a lot, (very active in his terrarium) but now he just kinda lies down on my hand and chills. For as long as I let him. Sometimes within a few minutes of picking him up. I'm a mom so I worry about these little things.
Is this normal behavior? Like warming up to me? Do they fall asleep that fast? I have searched the net and can't find much on snakes sleeping on humans.

Thanks!

Albert Clark
09-25-2015, 12:12 PM
He may be preparing to go into a shed. Remember also all snakes get stressed while being handled. They really don't enjoy being handled they basically just tolerate it. We think they enjoy being held. The younger they are the more they will stress from being held.

d_virginiana
09-25-2015, 01:59 PM
I've kind of got to disagree with Albert here... I don't think garters 'like' being held in the same way a dog or cat does, but if they aren't showing a fear response (musking, nipping, and trying to run off) I think they find us to be objects of curiosity and get something out of being handled. Their metabolisms are so much higher than most snakes that their 'seeking' behavior (the urge to move around looking for new sources of food or shelter) is above and beyond something like a ball python that might only display that behavior once every week or even longer. This makes them much more interested in new environments/decor/experiences than a lot of snakes, because in the wild the snakes that see something new and go check it out are the ones that find new food sources or hidey-holes.
Besides, stress/fear behavior in garters is usually musking and trying to get away, not staying still.

As for your original question, not trying to actively get away from you is a sign that they don't see you as a threat, but in my experience males almost never just sit still to be handled. It's not uncommon for females to just chill out on you, but my males are constantly moving no matter what. They can go to sleep on you, but it's rare and it certainly isn't happening every time you handle him.

In cases like this, it's good to do an 'alertness' test IMO. Monitor his tongue-flicking closely; if you put your hand or something new right in front of his face does he tongue flick at it like he normally would? Move your finger toward his nose and see if he moves his head away.
No matter how chill they are, garters should react to those things. If they don't you might be looking at a sick snake.

Albert Clark
09-25-2015, 02:19 PM
There are times in a reptiles life where they use motionless and stillness as a defense mechanism. Rather than fleeing or musking and or biting and mock biting they will lie still until they perceive the danger to be gone. Especially dangers they sense from up above as in birds of prey, animals like raccoons and squirrels that come out of trees to prey upon small garters. Definitely the young snakes, hatchlings and juveniles whose first line of defense is to hide. So, I believe that lying still after or during handling sessions can be a stressed reaction. :)

guidofatherof5
09-25-2015, 02:26 PM
What is the snakes behavior in his home?

Rushthezeppelin
09-25-2015, 02:44 PM
I've kind of got to disagree with Albert here... I don't think garters 'like' being held in the same way a dog or cat does, but if they aren't showing a fear response (musking, nipping, and trying to run off) I think they find us to be objects of curiosity and get something out of being handled. Their metabolisms are so much higher than most snakes that their 'seeking' behavior (the urge to move around looking for new sources of food or shelter) is above and beyond something like a ball python that might only display that behavior once every week or even longer. This makes them much more interested in new environments/decor/experiences than a lot of snakes, because in the wild the snakes that see something new and go check it out are the ones that find new food sources or hidey-holes.
Besides, stress/fear behavior in garters is usually musking and trying to get away, not staying still.

As for your original question, not trying to actively get away from you is a sign that they don't see you as a threat, but in my experience males almost never just sit still to be handled. It's not uncommon for females to just chill out on you, but my males are constantly moving no matter what. They can go to sleep on you, but it's rare and it certainly isn't happening every time you handle him.

In cases like this, it's good to do an 'alertness' test IMO. Monitor his tongue-flicking closely; if you put your hand or something new right in front of his face does he tongue flick at it like he normally would? Move your finger toward his nose and see if he moves his head away.
No matter how chill they are, garters should react to those things. If they don't you might be looking at a sick snake.

Agreed with you on handling. I think initially especially with a cage skiddish snake they are stressed when you get them out. I've had Delilah fall asleep in my hand multiple times. I think as long as you aren't moving around a ton they regard you as a nice warm perch to chill on and get some heat. Of course we can't handle forever as our body temps are a bit warmer than the warmest temps our garters prefer. Delilah will let me know when she is warm enough and start getting squirmy again (I've verified multiple times with my flir cam that she gets squirmy as soon as she hits 85*)....thats when she goes back in the viv. I've seen other's that have full grown girls sleeping on top of them while they are lying down. While I agree lots of reptiles are stressed when handled no matter what I think garters (and perhaps some others) are an exception.

Jenjen79
09-25-2015, 09:28 PM
He is definitely not showing any signs of stress. In his terrarium he cruises around, exploring. When I enter the room he definitely gets more active. He's eating and drinking just fine and he has no problem chomping down on food while being held (sometimes I offer a worm snack). When I put my hand in his terrarium he comes right up to me.

When I pick him up, I let him explore my hands, glasses, hat, etc... Tons of tongue flicking. When he's done exploring he finds a comfy spot In my hand and just chills out.
Come to think of it, rushthezeppelin, I do notice once he gets warm he starts squirming again.
Maybe I'm just a heating pad. :p

guidofatherof5
09-25-2015, 10:00 PM
Sounds like a normal Thamnophis

d_virginiana
09-26-2015, 10:09 AM
Albert; You're totally right that at points in their life, especially as babies, freezing up can be a fear response. It's just not something I would expect when the snake has previously been active and not super-defensive while being handled to suddenly start showing that particular response every time it's held. If it was doing that from the get-go I think that idea would fit better. In my experience, once any of my garters have gotten comfortable enough to be handled without problem, they show you they don't want to be held by nipping and musking because they know you aren't going to hurt them so they are focused more on "Hey, I don't want to be picked up right now!" than "Oh no, I'm about to be eaten" :p
My guess is this guy is probably just calming down to being handled if he's showing normal alertness and acting normal inside the tank.