PDA

View Full Version : rack systems

big J
07-29-2007, 10:27 PM
Does anyone out ther use tub racks to house your snakes i would love to see some pics I am thinking of building my own and would like some ideas also what size would be big enough for adult garters i have looked at some sterilite 41qt tubs wich are around 36 inches long by 16 inches wide by 6 inches high I don't won't to crowd my snakes but yet I plan on having too many for glass vivariums as of now I have 10 snakes in glass viv. and that is taking up alot of space already. thanx ahead for all the comments

drache
07-30-2007, 04:27 AM
this is just me
I do keep other snakes in tubs, but not my garters
for two reasons
my garters are very curious and like to see what's going on - I feel I'd be depriving them of stimulation
I believe garters like to bask in light roughly resembling what they would find in nature - it's not possible to provide that in a tub
I don't think there's anything terribly wrong with keeping them in tubs, but I prefer not to
but I'm also not a commercial breeder - just a regular garter addict approaching saturation

Ameivaboy
07-30-2007, 08:50 AM
I too prefer keeping garters in other set ups besides a rack, for the same reasons of mental stimulation (traffic outside the tank) and for their love of basking.

But, with many babies the rack is quite handy (and I keep a few other species on it as well)

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h8/Ameivaboy/DSC01663.jpg

I have found that the steel and wood shelving systems from places like home depot are good for holding multiple glass tanks, and you can drill ceramic sockets right into the shelf, these are what i keep my adult garters in

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h8/Ameivaboy/DSC01064.jpg

big J
07-30-2007, 10:39 AM
what kind of bulbs are those and what wattage do you use

drache
07-30-2007, 03:33 PM
what kind of bulbs are those and what wattage do you use

I'm guessing they're repti basking spots - it's what I use
I believe zoomed makes them
they focus the heat on a basking area
makes it easier to maintain a cooler area
of course I don't know what wattage Kevin is using, but I use a 75W on a 29G tank and 50W on a 20G long
I make sure that there are branches at different levels, so they can pick how close they want to get

Sid
07-30-2007, 05:45 PM
The following is a link for building a tub rack system. Really detailed for making a system to fit your tubs and looks nice, too.
Building a rack (http://www.finegtps.com/Racks.htm)

Sid

ssssnakeluvr
07-30-2007, 06:17 PM
I keep mine in the sterilite tubs....just built some shelves and stack them on it.....I have around 55 or so garters. i just don't have the money of the room for that many glass aquariums.....

KITKAT
07-30-2007, 06:20 PM
I have seen people using the closet organizer shelves for racks, with sterlite tubs in each "cubbyhole".

big J
07-30-2007, 06:56 PM
hey ssssnakeluvr what size tubs do you use

big J
07-30-2007, 06:59 PM
thanks for the link that is definitly a nice looking rack (for snakes that is)

ssssnakeluvr
07-30-2007, 07:49 PM
I use 12 quart for the smaller snakes and 27 and 35 quart for the bigger ones. I have just a couple 35 qt ones...they have crappy fitting lids..I make sure that I have another one sitting on the top to help keep it closed...the lids are a little loose and larger snakes can push the middle of the lids up enough to squeeze out.