PDA

View Full Version : Escaped arizona mountain king snake....

Albert Clark
09-09-2015, 12:53 PM
Yes guys, put me in the category of irresponsible reptile keeper today! This morning I noticed that the Arizona mountain king that we picked up on Sunday did a escape out of a ten gallon enclosure that had a glass versa top on it with a screen top and locking clips on both ends. When I first looked inside the tank I said ok she is under the hide cool side, not there. 0k, she is on the warm side under the hide, not there. Panick started setting in and I pick up all the paper towels ,gone. At this point I do a ten second survey of the immediate area around the enclosure and don't see her. That turns into a massive search of the whole room, both closets, and reorganizing some stacked boxes in a corner of the room, no snake. Out of breath now. Sit down and try to collect my thoughts and think of the last time we saw her and that would be Tuesday morning when I opened the tank to peek at her and she was there under the cool side hide. At this point I am very upset and have already scanned all the baseboards, walls , and cool spots where I think she would have wanted to go to escape the heat. The room is not air conditioned but does have a fan that pretty much is on all the time. Ambient temp in the room is 82f- 85f. Thought the dark spaces of the closets would show her but no. Still searching other parts of the apartment now. :confused: I know snakes are escape masters but this is really perplexing.

guidofatherof5
09-09-2015, 01:53 PM
Turn off all the lights then sit and listen. I've found many a snake that way. Best of luck finding her.

BUSHSNAKE
09-09-2015, 02:36 PM
Arizona mountain kingsnakes are very good climbers...keep that in mind

Rushthezeppelin
09-09-2015, 03:28 PM
I wouldn't put yourself down so much. You did secure the enclosure reasonably, just you are dealing with an unusually unreasonable snake I guess. Guess this one is getting rocks/books stacked on the topper next time ehh : P

Mommy2many
09-09-2015, 03:53 PM
Good luck finding her!

AntTheDestroyer
09-09-2015, 07:56 PM
Albert I honestly think it just make you a small snake keeper. It seems to me it happens to even the most experienced keepers. I hope you find the little guy.

Albert Clark
09-09-2015, 08:53 PM
Turn off all the lights then sit and listen. I've found many a snake that way. Best of luck finding her.
Thanks Steve, I just felt I had to keep looking bc all I kept thinking was I cant go to bed and sleep comfortably knowing she was still at large.

Arizona mountain kingsnakes are very good climbers...keep that in mind
TYVM B, I thought of that but made the closets my focus. Even pulled out a couple of my tubs in the racks.

I wouldn't put yourself down so much. You did secure the enclosure reasonably, just you are dealing with an unusually unreasonable snake I guess. Guess this one is getting rocks/books stacked on the topper next time ehh : P
Yes Rush, I absolutely was certain that I put the clips on. I think where she squeezed out of was the area that the probe wire crossed over the top of the edge of the tank. I had put electrical tape over the wire to keep it from crimping or getting cut from the screen top.

Good luck finding her!
Thanks Mom, this has been a heck of a day. I was also expecting a delivery from fedex that never showed to compound things.

Albert I honestly think it just make you a small snake keeper. It seems to me it happens to even the most experienced keepers. I hope you find the little guy.
Thank you Ant, this is like unbelievable. The search continues.

Albert Clark
09-09-2015, 09:02 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies and concern. The female king snake was found!!!!! Wifey saw her crawling out from underneath the ball python hatchling rack!! Wow, what a relief. No more quarantine tank now it's quarantine tub with snapping lid. Lol. Thank you community. I'll take some pics of her in the am so you all can see miss disappearing act! Haha. This is one of the few times I laughed today. Whew.

Albert Clark
09-09-2015, 09:04 PM
She was found!

Albert Clark
09-10-2015, 09:50 AM
Thanks again for all your responses community. Meet miss disappearing act! :) :)12700 Too cute for her own good. Glad that's over.

joeysgreen
09-13-2015, 05:57 PM
Beautiful snake Albert. I"m glad you found her.

Jeff B
09-13-2015, 10:36 PM
glad you found her that is a great looking snake. i have had a few escapees too...most of them found, sometimes my wife finds them, god our wives are saints to put up with us.

Albert Clark
09-16-2015, 08:24 PM
Beautiful snake Albert. I"m glad you found her.
Thanks j, I really like the spot on her nose. It actually almost looks like a mustache.

glad you found her that is a great looking snake. i have had a few escapees too...most of them found, sometimes my wife finds them, god our wives are saints to put up with us.
So true Jeff. I wonder if we give them enough credit?

Jeff B
09-17-2015, 06:49 AM
I give my wife ALL the credit ALL the time, she is the only reason I function.

Albert Clark
09-18-2015, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the compliment on the king snake! We always have to stay on top of our reptile enclosures to ensure there are no avenues of escape. As far as wifey is concerned, I need to take a page out of your book in the credit department. Seriously.

d_virginiana
09-20-2015, 12:37 AM
Albert, I feel like you might appreciate the segment at 0:42

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2jHZEXfwus

The whole video is pretty darn hilarious though, so I recommend watching the whole thing.

Albert Clark
09-21-2015, 08:02 AM
Yes, it was very entertaining and thank you for the therapeutic overview. Haha, amazing how they captured each reptiles respiratory pattern. Thanks! Lol.