PDA

View Full Version : Sexing with a flashlight?

Rushthezeppelin
09-09-2015, 12:43 PM
Saw on a facebook post somebody sexing bearded dragons with a flashlight on their tails....the sex organs have very distinct silhouettes. Anyone know if this is possible to do with garters as well?

muggy2419
09-09-2015, 04:45 PM
The light will not shine through the snakes, I just tried it on a large adult female to no success, and tried it on my 1 year old (male I think) and even on the baby, the light will not shine through, so you can't see anything. I was hoping this would work as it could've made things a lot easier.

guidofatherof5
09-09-2015, 06:25 PM
It may work on an albino.

Albert Clark
09-09-2015, 09:24 PM
I know there is a special tool that some people use. It's a type of magnifying tool and the name escapes me. It is not a probe. Flashlight is a new one on me though.

Rushthezeppelin
09-10-2015, 07:55 AM
It may work on an albino.

That's what I'm thinking. Also perhaps you guys just aren't using a bright enough flashlight as people are doing this on full grown BDs with tails easily as thick as a male adult garter at least. And they have nice dark scaling.

joeysgreen
09-20-2015, 11:23 PM
The trick to trans-illumination is you want a bright, focal light. The new cell phones actually have a really good one, but a strong pen light will often work. With all this said, it doesn't work all the time. I can trans-illuminate the jugular vein of a leopard gecko and a crested gecko, but try it on a gargoyle gecko and nothing shines through.
The magnifying tool mentioned above is probably a jeweler's loop; it's just a small magnifying glass. More than useless if you're trying to sex a garter snake.

In all honestly, garters are easy enough to sex visually, and confirm with probing as necessary, that alternative methods aren't really in need.

Ian