PDA

View Full Version : Blue puget female ....

Albert Clark
09-02-2015, 02:52 PM
Well, my 2009 blue puget female has been off food for the past two months. She has been drinking water and soaking occasionally. Nothing really atypical, looking basically the same with no weight loss or gain. Been steady at around 306 gms since I've had her. I know the seller had brumated her for 2 months b4 I bought her. Okay, so I'm thinking maybe she is gravid from retained sperm at this point. Especially when she wouldn't take a tiny earthworm. All the husbandry has been spot on. Ambients at 84f , warm side (back of tub) 88f , cool side (front of tub) 82f. Humidity 58%. What's going on?? She decided it's time to drop slugs! For the past 3 hours she has been pushing out these small yellow slugs. Talk about disappointed. I'll post some pictures tomorrow. I guess that is when she'll be finished. :( :(

indigoman
09-02-2015, 03:19 PM
Sorry about the slugs, we need to find some males!

Albert Clark
09-02-2015, 04:00 PM
Absolutely, I am talking to a few people now. Made it known how important it is. We'll see! Thanks for the feelings about the slugs. :(

guidofatherof5
09-02-2015, 04:20 PM
Sorry to hear about the jellies.

Albert Clark
09-02-2015, 05:05 PM
Sorry to hear about the jellies.
Thank you. Back to the drawing board!

Rushthezeppelin
09-02-2015, 06:41 PM
Sorry bout the jellies, glad to hear it sounds like she's passing them fine though. Hopefully she'll be right as rain for next season.

Zdravko092368
09-02-2015, 07:18 PM
Sorry to hear about the slugs, we really need to get some pugets breeding, hobby is running low on quality males. Everyone I know only has females.

Albert Clark
09-02-2015, 07:31 PM
Sorry bout the jellies, glad to hear it sounds like she's passing them fine though. Hopefully she'll be right as rain for next season.
Thanks Rush, yeah, so far so good on the passing. Exactly, hoping the same thing with next season.

Sorry to hear about the slugs, we really need to get some pugets breeding, hobby is running low on quality males. Everyone I know only has females.
Tyvm Z, so true about the shortage of blue puget males. One of the people who was breeding them said quite a few of them were w/c and were difficult to breed in captivity. Don Belnap said something quite similar recently. I am definitely on the hunt. The captive hunt for now.

Albert Clark
09-03-2015, 07:22 AM
12672This is what the slug droppings appeared like as of this morning.1267012671:( :( I believe she is finished. Took her out the tub and let her soak for about 40 minutes. The abdominal contractions had subsided b4 I placed her in to soak so I don't really know if she is completely finished or not. As of ten minutes ago there is no contractions or slugs in the tub.

slipknot711
09-03-2015, 11:38 AM
bummer. sorry Al! atleast she is passing them.

Albert Clark
09-03-2015, 02:12 PM
Yes Ash, so true! I just wish those were scrubs being passed out of her. Haha.

guidofatherof5
09-03-2015, 07:26 PM
Sorry to hear about the slugs.

Albert Clark
09-04-2015, 03:37 AM
Sorry to hear about the slugs.
Thanks Steve! I am glad that she is passing them. She is a very strong, amazing example of a blue puget female. If and when I do get her bred I think she will have about 50 babies!

Tommytradix
09-04-2015, 05:17 AM
Thanks Steve! I am glad that she is passing them. She is a very strong, amazing example of a blue puget female. If and when I do get her bred I think she will have about 50 babies!
In my experience thier 2nd litter is massive I never had a 2nd litter that was under 30

Albert Clark
09-04-2015, 08:32 AM
In my experience thier 2nd litter is massive I never had a 2nd litter that was under 30
Thanks Tommy! IDK how many litters this girl may have in her 6 years of life but I would think its more than 2. The seller told me that she had been cooled down for a period of time b4 I purchased her and that she was ready to breed. Which was why I had that frantic search for a male blue Puget. But that is good to know. Seems that the slugfest is over lol. Now to see if she will start to take food. Thanks again!

stnick
09-04-2015, 10:14 AM
Bummer. These are no where to be found since Scott left the hobby. So unfortunate. I hope something turns up.

Albert Clark
09-04-2015, 02:05 PM
Bummer. These are no where to be found since Scott left the hobby. So unfortunate. I hope something turns up.
Yep st, they are a hard find and males are even harder. We will eventually prevail in time. Keep looking and possibly have to get a loaner male from someone??

Tommytradix
09-04-2015, 03:28 PM
Thanks Tommy! IDK how many litters this girl may have in her 6 years of life but I would think its more than 2. The seller told me that she had been cooled down for a period of time b4 I purchased her and that she was ready to breed. Which was why I had that frantic search for a male blue Puget. But that is good to know. Seems that the slugfest is over lol. Now to see if she will start to take food. Thanks again!
good luck!
theres no way to find out who scott sold them to? i did a pretty good job of tracking down the axanthics hahaha

Albert Clark
09-04-2015, 04:02 PM
Nah, I'm not worried about that bc eventually blue pugets will turn up. I am still thinking about a trip to the west coast. Stopping in Washington State for a search of the blue puget. :D

Qwerty3159
09-04-2015, 08:20 PM
Sorry for the slugs :(
I hope you'll get better luck next time around :)

Tommytradix
09-04-2015, 08:48 PM
I may know a guy lol

Albert Clark
09-05-2015, 04:19 PM
Sorry for the slugs :(
I hope you'll get better luck next time around :)
Thanks Q, she seems to be doing a lot better today. I'm glad that the slugfest is over and she can return to some semblance of normalcy. I really care for this girl.

Albert Clark
09-05-2015, 04:27 PM
I may know a guy lol
If you do, please contact him so we can agree on something to get these reptiles together. And if this flyox wants to purchase a granite female then I see he's in Canada

Tommytradix
09-06-2015, 06:20 AM
If you do, please contact him so we can agree on something to get these reptiles together. And if this flyox wants to purchase a granite female then I see he's in Canada
I ship to Canada but not until july

Albert Clark
09-06-2015, 09:08 PM
That will work! I should have quite a few more granites by then. Blue puget took a live pink rat tonight! She really looks good now since passing those slugs. I am so happy she is back on food. She really never lost any weight through this 21/2 month long ordeal. White Plains show was fantastic. There was an astounding amount of people in attendance!:D :D

Rushthezeppelin
09-07-2015, 09:14 AM
Pics?

Albert Clark
09-07-2015, 02:42 PM
Pics?

Sorry Rush, I didn't take any pictures bc I knew what I was looking for and kept that as a priority. I was looking for blue pugets and granite checkered males. There was some amazing animals there. Just as I got to the table where the garters were being sold I realized that this guy was the only one with garters. He only had 3 and someone was purchasing them just as I got to the table. A trio of 3 normal checkered garters het albino. We saw pixie frogs, tiny dart frogs, tons of ball pythons and boa constrictors. Tortoises, and box turtles. Groups and groups of bearded dragons and crested geckos. We even picked up a juvenile Arizona mountain king snake that my wife has wanted for a long time. Really a fantastic expo. Next up is the Long Island Reptile show, Oct 25. I will make sure to get some pics at that show! I think there is a you tube video of the White Plains show if you care to go look at it there though. :D :D :D I will post pics of the kingsnake once she settles into her new digs here at home. Wifey named her Thomasina, haha. Oh, blue Puget female ate two medium sized cut pieces of f/t frog legs this afternoon. I think she is back on track!

Rushthezeppelin
09-07-2015, 06:30 PM
No I was talking about of your girl now that she's more shapely :P

Albert Clark
09-07-2015, 07:50 PM
No I was talking about of your girl now that she's more shapely :P
Oh, my misinterpretation of that. Sure, I will put up some pics of her in the am. Np. She is in shed but I can get that up. Thanks for asking.

Albert Clark
09-08-2015, 08:50 AM
Well, had my girl out this morning for a quick cleaning of the enclosure and water change. Over the past two days she has eaten a live pink rat and two chunk pieces of f/t frog legs.12695She is looking better today but is in "the blue". When I placed her back in the tub she did leave a present for me within a couple of minutes. Unfortunately it was another slug and some urine mixed with brownish liquid like feces :eek:. Okay, we'll see :confused:.

Albert Clark
09-08-2015, 09:43 AM
I'm wondering if this female will drop some scrubs over the next week or so even though she is dropping slugs now? I think it's possible. You know, maybe this shed is a prelay shed? Stranger things have happened. Lol. Oh, and she has lost about 18 grams as of this mornings weigh in. Current weight 288gms.;)

FlameBoy
09-08-2015, 08:15 PM
In my experinances with breeding pickeringi i found that they are harder to breed produce small litters and that they require a higher humidity level in order for the babies to form inside of her i had many litters of slugs dropped when i housed them on paper towels or just beding but it wanst untill i used damp moss in their tubs along with bedding that i started getting fertile live litters.
This is just my experiance within pickeringi

Albert Clark
09-09-2015, 05:02 AM
In my experinances with breeding pickeringi i found that they are harder to breed produce small litters and that they require a higher humidity level in order for the babies to form inside of her i had many litters of slugs dropped when i housed them on paper towels or just beding but it wanst untill i used damp moss in their tubs along with bedding that i started getting fertile live litters.
This is just my experiance within pickeringi
Thanks for that! So now that she is in the rack and the humidity is a bit higher I can plan to switch the substrate to a cypress mulch. That sounds great! Thanks again FB. Don had told me some time ago they are difficult to breed in captivity and do better in groups when pairing them to breed.

Albert Clark
09-10-2015, 10:34 AM
Still seeing slugs this morning along with some putrid smelling urine and feces. I know she ate a live pink rat 24 hrs ago and some f/t frog leg chunks.

Albert Clark
09-10-2015, 10:35 AM
Still seeing slugs this morning along with some putrid smelling urine and feces. :eek: I know she ate a live pink rat 24 hrs ago and some f/t frog leg chunks.

Albert Clark
09-10-2015, 04:40 PM
All day the female blue has been shedding but at 6 pm I noticed her passing stillborns. So far I see two. I guess my suspicions were correct and she was gravid from retained sperm from a pairing with the previous owner. Hoping she can produce a live pair or at least a single male. Fingers and toes crossed.

Albert Clark
09-10-2015, 05:43 PM
I originally thought this was two stills but its one that seems to have suffered a mid body separation. :(:( 12701 Hopefully there will be a live male born or two. Or three.

Rushthezeppelin
09-10-2015, 05:52 PM
Awww poor little scrub. Seems like she's still at it so who knows maybe there will be some nice healthy ones at the end of the line.

Albert Clark
09-10-2015, 05:56 PM
Awww poor little scrub. Seems like she's still at it so who knows maybe there will be some nice healthy ones at the end of the line.

Thanks Rush, hopefully. Wouldn't that be great?

guidofatherof5
09-10-2015, 06:10 PM
Sorry to here about the slugs.

Albert Clark
09-10-2015, 06:27 PM
Sorry to here about the slugs.
Tyvm Steve.

Albert Clark
09-12-2015, 03:59 PM
Still passing slugs this morning. No stills though. Wow, retained sperm known as amphogenia retardata.

Tommytradix
09-13-2015, 02:42 PM
Hey I'm planning on getting a lot of pugets in spring all hope is not lost!!!

boyer45
09-13-2015, 04:52 PM
Sorry to hear about the slugs, what a beautiful snake!

anery
09-21-2015, 07:17 PM
do you have any blue and black garter snakes still available?

Albert Clark
09-22-2015, 07:23 AM
Hey I'm planning on getting a lot of pugets in spring all hope is not lost!!!
Thanks Tom, hope that becomes a reality!

Sorry to hear about the slugs, what a beautiful snake!
Tyvm b, it has been disappointing. She truly is a great looking reptile.

do you have any blue and black garter snakes still available?
Sorry anery, I do not have any blue or black garters at this time. I will eventually. I do have a pastel granite checkered garter for sale. Check the classifieds section here. Actually the pastel does have black coloration but it's mostly a greenish/ tan mixed in. Haha.

Albert Clark
09-22-2015, 02:11 PM
12736She is hanging in there guys! And has lost more weight but is taking food on a regular basis these days. The last slug produced was on Sunday.:D ( this is not a recent picture but I will post one tomorrow).

Albert Clark
09-23-2015, 12:10 PM
1273812737Well,i snapped her picture after I enticed her to have a little breakfast pinky x3 and two pieces of smelt. She took the food eagerly and appeared to want more. I weighed her yesterday and she is 278 gms. Down 28 gms from her original. Probably was more than that bc she has been taking a good variety of food for the past 2 weeks. :)

Albert Clark
04-27-2016, 11:40 AM
Bumped this bc i am trying to get her a boyfriend later this year 2016.