PDA

View Full Version : A question about breeding Garter Snakes

Fly0x
09-02-2015, 12:45 PM
I have a 1 year old Albino Checkered garter snake, and I feel id like to breed him in the future.
The problem is, is Checkered garter snake a Sub-Species or just a morph?
For example, would I be able to breed my Checkered garter snake to a California red-sided garter snake or Red sided garter snake?

Or are they different Species? Please help me! Thanks.

liveunderoath
09-03-2015, 01:10 AM
The checkered garter is its own species, thamnophis marcianus. If you are wanting to breed him, then you need to get another checkered. There are a couple of morphs which are granite and pastel.

Zdravko092368
09-03-2015, 03:12 AM
Checkered garter is it's own species, they can cross with other species but you should never do that, the usually end up like an ugly combination of the two and nobody will want to buy them.

Albino is the morph you have, checkered only have two other morphs(granite and pastel).

Albert Clark
09-03-2015, 07:04 AM
Checkered garter is it's own species, they can cross with other species but you should never do that, the usually end up like an ugly combination of the two and nobody will want to buy them.

Albino is the morph you have, checkered only have two other morphs(granite and pastel).
Well, you also have the normal checkered and the albino granite checkered. When a albino checkered is paired with a normal checkered you will produce albinos and normals who are het for albino. But you certainly should not breed one species to a different species. You then would have hybrids and a big problem on your hands. We just don't need hybrids, they cloud the gene pool. Albinos and normals make for some decent scrubs btw. BHB sells het albino checkereds and he is asking a lot for his. :)

Tommytradix
09-03-2015, 08:50 AM
Well, you also have the normal checkered and the albino granite checkered. When a albino checkered is paired with a normal checkered you will produce albinos and normals who are het for albino. But you certainly should not breed one species to a different species. You then would have hybrids and a big problem on your hands. We just don't need hybrids, they cloud the gene pool. Albinos and normals make for some decent scrubs btw. BHB sells het albino checkereds and he is asking a lot for his. :)
If bred to a normal they ALL will be normal 100% het albino unless the normal was het for albino

Albert Clark
09-03-2015, 12:53 PM
If bred to a normal they ALL will be normal 100% het albino unless the normal was het for albino
Yes, that's correct Tom. Thank you.