PDA

View Full Version : Introducing Obi the obtuse

AntTheDestroyer
08-20-2015, 10:03 AM
He arrived yesterday morning and hadled a small unscented pinkie by evening. He quite the character constantly checking me out at my work desk. Thank you Jeff.

Albert Clark
08-20-2015, 10:09 AM
Extremely fantastic looking guy Ant! It actually makes me a little emotional just seeing him. Glad you are back in the red sided seat, these guys are a hard act to duplicate. Enjoy! :)

snakeman
08-20-2015, 12:22 PM
Did you fix the mite problem?

AntTheDestroyer
08-20-2015, 12:25 PM
I am pretty confident they never spread past the snake from Florida herps. I was really aggressive with cleaning. I am also not sure how well mites do in Colorado. I know dust mites are not a problem here.

d_virginiana
08-20-2015, 02:37 PM
I think mites have the potential to live basically anywhere. Even if the temps/humidity in your house aren't correct for them, I imagine they'd be able to survive at least long enough to get from one snake enclosure to another, and since those have to be a certain temp/humidity, they're almost definitely going to be able to live in them.

AntTheDestroyer
08-20-2015, 02:46 PM
I think mites have the potential to live basically anywhere. Even if the temps/humidity in your house aren't correct for them, I imagine they'd be able to survive at least long enough to get from one snake enclosure to another, and since those have to be a certain temp/humidity, they're almost definitely going to be able to live in them.

I only have north American colubrids so I don't have any special humidity tanks. Colorado is extremely dry so maybe I should, but most of the reading I have done says that it is not necessary. I could be wrong about the mites anyway, I was just making a guess. Either way I believe them to be gone.

d_virginiana
08-20-2015, 03:45 PM
I really don't know that much about the conditions mites need to survive to be honest. It gets crazy dry here in the winter, and I just use one of those plug-in humidifiers. Fill it up and let it run at night. Bumps the humidity in the general area by like 10% (it's kind of a crappy one).

Can I ask what the inspiration for Obi the Obtuse was? Funny name lol.

Rushthezeppelin
08-20-2015, 04:27 PM
Glad to see the thamily is whole again. Very beautiful male there.

AntTheDestroyer
08-20-2015, 04:53 PM
I really don't know that much about the conditions mites need to survive to be honest. It gets crazy dry here in the winter, and I just use one of those plug-in humidifiers. Fill it up and let it run at night. Bumps the humidity in the general area by like 10% (it's kind of a crappy one).

Can I ask what the inspiration for Obi the Obtuse was? Funny name lol.

Well there are several reasons. First is that he will be getting a melanistic eastern brother in a few weeks named Darth. Secondly he has a kink at the end of his tail.

d_virginiana
08-20-2015, 04:58 PM
lol. I try to give my reptiles cute and appropriate names, then they end up with names like Stupid and Turtle (she's a turtle).

Jeff B
08-21-2015, 08:44 PM
He arrived yesterday morning and hadled a small unscented pinkie by evening. He quite the character constantly checking me out at my work desk. Thank you Jeff.
That is awesome that he took a an unscented pinkie, he will grow really fast now.