PDA

View Full Version : snake racks

KashGarter27
08-19-2015, 12:22 PM
Anyone use snake racks i want to start using them but need info about them

d_virginiana
08-19-2015, 01:16 PM
I personally wouldn't use racks for my garters... I know some people do, but I think they really benefit from having more space and decor. I have no problem with racks for more sedentary snakes like ball pythons (I've even seen people use systems similar to racks for pacman frogs that seem to work well), but I just don't like the idea of it for garters.

KashGarter27
08-19-2015, 02:46 PM
I see what your saying and garter snakes like space to move around

Tommytradix
08-19-2015, 03:00 PM
i use boaphile rhynoraxx racks and tanks. i would only recommend racks if you are tight on space or have a large collection
i have the 12 sweater box 15 qt for males and juvies and use 5 sweater box 25 qt for adult females
i have 2 of each and 4 10 gal tanks and 3 5 gal tanks for babies until they are big enough to be put into the rack

Albert Clark
08-20-2015, 04:45 AM
I also use racks. I like the ones from reptile basics but I do use v70 41qt tubs for my ball pythons. The v70 racks are from c serpents. My garter racks are a 12.2qt tub IrisMCB-S wide version and a Iris sweater box 30.6qt tub. They work fine for my animals so far. I have limited space and rack systems are great. I use a uva/ uvb bulb and lamp to simulate daytime with additional filtered light from a nearby window. Of course the racks come with heat tape and the racks are thermostatically controlled. Previously used tanks for all my animals but now I am spoiled. All my animals get time out of the racks for real excersize and some socialization these days. My babies and juveniles get housed in medium deli cups until they are feeding regularly then get moved into knitter keepers in the rack system. :) Reptile basics has some nice racks that are not taxed and there is free shipping. They deliver their products extremely fast also. The racks are ready to use with standard back heat. Belly heat option is 20.00 extra. You must have a thermostat to safely operate any rack system with heat.

Albert Clark
08-20-2015, 11:01 AM
12546Racks really are space savers and make cleanings a breeze. :)

Albert Clark
08-20-2015, 11:27 AM
12547I have two more racks in the other room that are the Iris sweaterbox racks with the 30.6 qt tubs (not pictured). :)

KashGarter27
08-20-2015, 11:34 PM
Any racks anyone dont use

Albert Clark
08-21-2015, 12:01 AM
The biggest sellers of racks are reptile basics. Beware of racks being sold on the classifieds. Sometimes the heat tape can be burned out or faulty. Some people make home made racks which I have no experience with but buyer beware.The only racks I have experience with are those two. C serpents and Reptile Basics.

Tommytradix
08-21-2015, 11:58 AM
i use boaphile. my c serpant rack isnt built very well it has sharp edges and heats unevenlly. where as my boaphile has rounded edges is made of melamine and temp has a one degree diference from top to bottom the c serpant rack is made of pvc and has a 10-12 degree drop from top to bottom i dont use the top 2 tubs. imo if your gonna buy racks dont go cheap. you definitely get what you pay for

KashGarter27
08-21-2015, 01:12 PM
Tommy which rack system do you use from boaphile

Tommytradix
08-21-2015, 05:29 PM
Tommy which rack system do you use from boaphile
rhynoraxx 12 sweater box 15qt

Albert Clark
08-21-2015, 05:34 PM
i use boaphile. my c serpant rack isnt built very well it has sharp edges and heats unevenlly. where as my boaphile has rounded edges is made of melamine and temp has a one degree diference from top to bottom the c serpant rack is made of pvc and has a 10-12 degree drop from top to bottom i dont use the top 2 tubs. imo if your gonna buy racks dont go cheap. you definitely get what you pay for
Tommy, if your C serpents rack is defective you should call Chris and let him know. Because.he backs up all his products and has quality craftsmanship. Are you sure you didn't have a accident with your thermostat regulation? Did you inadvertently drop the rack or bang it against something? What thermostat are you using? C serpents racks are expensive and the shipping charges run like 60.00 depending on which rack you go with. I would definitely call Chris and let him know. He has outstanding customer sevice and if your rack is still under warranty and hasn't been abused he will work with you. Do you still have your invoice?

Tommytradix
08-21-2015, 06:00 PM
Tommy, if your C serpents rack is defective you should call Chris and let him know. Because.he backs up all his products and has quality craftsmanship. Are you sure you didn't have a accident with your thermostat regulation? Did you inadvertently drop the rack or bang it against something? What thermostat are you using? C serpents racks are expensive and the shipping charges run like 60.00 depending on which rack you go with. I would definitely call Chris and let him know. He has outstanding customer sevice and if your rack is still under warranty and hasn't been abused he will work with you. Do you still have your invoice?
it may very well be any one of those things its a year old. i didnt purchase it from him directly it was flameboys and im at his house all the time and know he takes care of his stuff it sat in the same spot in his room the whole time he had it. it didnt work right when he had it but he used ambient temps in his snake room so didnt matter too much. he gave it to me cheap so it does its job. i dont use heat in summer so i can use the whole rack but winter only 3 tubs get pretty close to the same temp the others get too hot or too cold depending on if im using the bottom 3 or top 3.
i personally wouldnt buy one at full price knowing what its made of and how sharp the edges ot the pvc are. boaphile routers the edges and they are stackable

Albert Clark
08-21-2015, 07:52 PM
Well, I guess there is room for a small number of dissatisfied customers. The majority of people have no complaints about the quality and or the craftsmanship of C serpents or Reptile basics rack systems.

Tommytradix
08-21-2015, 08:46 PM
cant please everyone lol its just not my preferred style of rack

KashGarter27
08-21-2015, 10:07 PM
Tommy the rack system those are housed with adults

Tommytradix
08-21-2015, 10:41 PM
Tommy the rack system those are housed with adults
i have males and juvie/sub adults in the 15qt and my adult females in the 25qt.
it says on the site that 15qt is for up to 4ft colubrids but i wouldnt recommend keeping anything bigger than 2 foot in them. they have alot more floor space than the older style tub cause they dont taper inward as much as the other tubs that are used by other companies.