PDA

View Full Version : Ever had a year old female throw slugs?

d_virginiana
07-24-2015, 06:42 PM
I've had a two year old female throw slugs before, but I ask because I think my female blackneck (JUST over a year old) may be about to throw some slugs. I was wondering if anyone has had that happen so young?

First of all, she is HUGE. Dwarfs her female sibling that I still keep track of (living with my parents) by at least double, and is already larger than most of my adult males both in length and girth. Also, I've noticed she's got kind of fat in the last week or two; mainly down near the tail and ending with the scale literally one scale up from the vent. Not super big, but enough to notice. I've been pretty gentle with her, but I don't feel any noticeable lumps like I'd expect from an intestinal blockage just basically letting her crawl over my hand with VERY light pressure. It has been awhile since she's pooped, so I may just walk in in a day or two to find a giant messy surprise. The good thing is I'm not seeing the signs of a blockage, like lethargy or decreased appetite (DEFINITELY not decreased appetite), swelling/redness of the vent, and haven't noticed any straining or anything like that.
I'm keeping a close eye on her, but so far her behavior doesn't indicate anything is wrong, so I really am wondering if she may be about to throw some slugs.

guidofatherof5
07-24-2015, 07:28 PM
Never for me.

Albert Clark
07-24-2015, 07:55 PM
I had my female albino checkered pass some slugs about two years ago. I knew I had placed her in with her mate and knew she had bred with him. But I never recalled her getting really large as in being gravid. I kept them together for about two months to insure the fertility. Then about 30 days after that she began to push out these beige colored irregularly shaped masses that I found out later were slugs. I didn't know what they were at first. She has gone on to produce two healthy clutches since that time.

Tommytradix
07-24-2015, 09:13 PM
just had a 10 month old drop some. shes 27 inches too. my axanthic never had a real litter 3 years in a row she slugged out on me. hope she passes them safely so far everyone that slugged on me passed without a problem just make sure shes hydrated

d_virginiana
07-24-2015, 09:14 PM
Alright, I'll keep a close eye on her for any changes. I really hope I'm not dealing with something like a blockage (in all likelihood nothing is wrong, but I really haven't slept for a few days prepping for a job interview, and I get seriously paranoid when I don't sleep).

Tommytradix
07-24-2015, 09:36 PM
Alright, I'll keep a close eye on her for any changes. I really hope I'm not dealing with something like a blockage (in all likelihood nothing is wrong, but I really haven't slept for a few days prepping for a job interview, and I get seriously paranoid when I don't sleep).
you do worry alot but thats good for your garters sake. if your like me i check on them a couple times throughout the day so i can spot any odd behavior. so far this year everyone is in tip top shape :)

Rushthezeppelin
07-24-2015, 09:43 PM
you do worry alot but thats good for your garters sake. if your like me i check on them a couple times throughout the day so i can spot any odd behavior. so far this year everyone is in tip top shape :)

Lol I come home on lunch breaks and either handle mine or at least stare at her if shes recently fed (or in shed like right now). I've been especially hawkish with her being in shed. I'm constantly checking her basking temp too with my Iphone flir unit ><

d_virginiana
07-27-2015, 08:58 AM
Just thought I'd update this; she pooped last night and everything looked normal, but her lower half is definitely still bigger than normal, and the positioning really makes me think she's about to throw some slugs.
As an aside, she is going to be absolutely huge when she's grown. I need to find a male to breed to her!