PDA

View Full Version : Another Regurge

d_virginiana
07-16-2015, 04:22 PM
A bit of background for anyone who didn't read my other threads on this: I have two males that were housed together. One of them regurged a couple times a few weeks ago. I separated out his cagemate. Eventually he coughed up a bunch of mucous and something hard that I believe was a blockage that had been in his stomach. Since then he's been keeping food down, his poo is gradually returning to normal, and I'm still working on getting him up to normal meal sizes again.

Well, today when I was checking on everybody, I found that his cagemate that I separated out had regurgitated. It was actually a smaller meal than normal, so I don't think overfeeding or anything was to blame. He's still acting very alert and active like normal, so that's good. I really think that whatever his cagemate coughed up was a blockage and therefore shouldn't be contagious, so that's a little confusing. However, right now I'm operating under the assumption that whatever this is was contagious because better safe than sorry.
Also, there was fresh poo that was more or less normal looking in his enclosure today, so at least I know there's no blockage or anything like that.

For his next feeding, I'm just going to offer a single nightcrawler, as that seems to be easier to digest and see how that goes. If this is the same thing that happened to his cagemate, I'm hopeful that he'll get over it just like the other one did.

guidofatherof5
07-16-2015, 05:03 PM
Please keep us posted Lora.

d_virginiana
07-19-2015, 10:16 PM
Well, he was acting hungry a day or so ago, so I gave him a SMALL chunk of nightcrawler (I was out of town when he regurged, so it's been longer than it sounds like since it happened), and today I found what I THINK was poop. There were no urates, but when I examined it, it looked pretty homogenous. No identifiable worm bits when I broke it apart, just brown mush. Of course, there is the worry that a regurged worm might look like just brown mush.

He's still acting perfectly fine; even a little feistier than normal because he's about to shed. Everyone else gets fed in a couple days. I think I may feed him something very small, like the head off a pinkie, that I could identify with certainty if it gets regurged, then wait a day or two to see what happens.

In an update on his cagemate, I think he's ready for pretty much normal meals again. He's been getting quite a few worms, and he had a pinkie last week as well, and his poo is pretty much normal now.

d_virginiana
07-24-2015, 06:29 PM
Alright, as of today, it's been three days since he ate a very small pinkie with no regurge, and the poo I have seen has looked normal. I think next week I'll start my 90 day countdown before reintroducing him to his cagemate (who took a normal meal last week with no issues).

guidofatherof5
07-24-2015, 07:51 PM
Good update.