PDA

View Full Version : Basking

Kurly1
07-27-2007, 11:33 AM
How often do your snakes bask? My snake doesn't seem to bask alot. The temperature on the basking side is 86 and the temp on the cool side is 78. I can't get the cool side any cooler and I know the warm temperature should be okay at what it is. Could it be that my snake is pretty comfortable most of the time? When he isn't active, he is usually curled up under a plant right in the middle of the terrarium.

I just thought that snakes are supposed to bask more than what my snake does but maybe not. :confused:

Elliot
07-27-2007, 11:36 AM
Your temperatures are great, I never have been able to get mine quite right. Do you have sticks to climb on under the light? Or maybe a hide or rock he can sit on under it?

Kurly1
07-27-2007, 12:03 PM
Yes, I actually have two sticks that are under the light. Well one is directly under the light and the other is a little further away from it. I also have his hide under the light too and there is a rock opposite of the hide.
He has plenty of places to choose from to bask.

I have seen him on the stick in the past as well as lying on top of the hide to bask but he just hasn't been doing it as much lately so that is why I thought I would ask.

I have some trouble keeping my temps at those levels sometimes but usually that is where they are.

Elliot
07-27-2007, 12:13 PM
He might just be acting differently for no particular reason, or he could maybe be about to shed or something but I wouldn't worry about it. One of my snakes is always climbing and exploring and basking where the other one just sits and hides in a plant over their heat pad.

Lulu Bennett
07-27-2007, 12:29 PM
in my tank right in the middle i have a small hollow log lay down with holes through it and both of mine just lie in there. i havn't ever seen mine out basking under the light. and my temp is usually a steady 85f in the hot end. i think it just depends on the snakes

Kurly1
07-27-2007, 12:58 PM
Okay, I thought it probably depends on the snake. It doesnt appear that anything is wrong with him. I am just trying to get used to how he does things. Also he hasn't shed since we found him about 6 weeks ago and I was wondering about that too.

I actually bought some pinkies for the first time today and we'll begin feeding him on those next week! I had no idea that they were so small! For some reason I thought that they would be much larger. I imagine that he will begin to grow more once we get him to eat pinkies and am guessing the shedding will follow eventually.

As always, thanks guys. :D

enigma200316
07-27-2007, 04:03 PM
speaking of pinkies, where on the internet can you find them resonable,
and I mean without having to spend 40 or 50 dollars for shipping.....?

Elliot
07-27-2007, 04:07 PM
Pretty much nowhere that isn't that expensive shipping wise.

enigma200316
07-27-2007, 04:09 PM
looks like I'm going to have to start breeding mice again..lol

Elliot
07-27-2007, 04:19 PM
looks like I'm going to have to start breeding mice again..lol

Well you would have to buy a couple hundred to make up for the price probably, and that'd only work if you had enough space and enough snakes. Breeding them probably would be cheaper in the long run if you have a decent number of snakes.