PDA

View Full Version : slugs

KashGarter27
06-30-2015, 10:16 AM
Last year i bought a albino plains garter snake and she layed slugs last year but i never bred her and yesterday i saw slugs in her tank why is she keep having slugs not babies

Tommytradix
06-30-2015, 10:37 AM
Last year i bought a albino plains garter snake and she layed slugs last year but i never bred her and yesterday i saw slugs in her tank why is she keep having slugs not babies
there was no male to fertilized them

Albert Clark
06-30-2015, 12:33 PM

The other possibility is , depending on her age, the previous owner bred her and she just didn't go to production at the normal interval. Another possibility is the "retained sperm" phenomena occurred but the sperm is now degraded.

KashGarter27
06-30-2015, 03:00 PM
So next year when i breed her she will have babies?

Albert Clark
06-30-2015, 04:49 PM
So next year when i breed her she will have babies?
Yeah, I think its safe to breed her next year. Start feeding her a wide variety of foods. Whatever she will take just give it to her. Don't overfeed but the key, imo, is variety.

KashGarter27
06-30-2015, 07:35 PM
Feeding 2 small mice is bad 2 do

Albert Clark
06-30-2015, 08:45 PM
Well, it's best if they are the hairless mice. Is she big enough to take rat pinks? Try some f/t frog legs, my garters love them. Most fish markets sell them. Fresh fish is a good occasional treat. Frozen fish is another. Make sure you get the thiaminase free fish that is safe. Don't forget the nightcrawlers also as a food source,