PDA

View Full Version : Question on Fish and vitamin replacement

Kurly1
07-26-2007, 01:54 PM
I tried searching the site and haven't found my answer. I know it's here but I can't remember where so I think it will be easier for me to just ask this simple question.

What powdered vitamin should I place on the minnows when I feed my snake? I went to the pet store today and they told me to use a product called "ReptoCal" which includes Calcium and Vitamin D3. They also told me that snakes love to eat crickets (which I know isn't true) So that makes me wonder if they told me to buy the correct product.

Thanks Guys and Gals :)

Lulu Bennett
07-26-2007, 03:18 PM
i was gunna say i have never heard of a snake eating crickets lol. i have noticed that the 2 pet stores near me don't have a clue what they are chatting about. i asked one of them about san frans and they looked at me blankly and said oh i don't know much about snakes we just get them in and get told how much they are worth. OMG!! i was NOT impressed at all, but they are really cheep so i will have to go back :(

Elliot
07-26-2007, 03:21 PM
I tried searching the site and haven't found my answer. I know it's here but I can't remember where so I think it will be easier for me to just ask this simple question.

What powdered vitamin should I place on the minnows when I feed my snake? I went to the pet store today and they told me to use a product called "ReptoCal" which includes Calcium and Vitamin D3. They also told me that snakes love to eat crickets (which I know isn't true) So that makes me wonder if they told me to buy the correct product.

Thanks Guys and Gals :)

I use Hertivite by Rep-Cal, it works really well, and you can mix it with the calcium powder you have now to make a complete supplement.

adamanteus
07-26-2007, 03:43 PM
It's hard to answer as brand-names differ from the US to the UK, but Elliots advice sounds right on the nail to me. A good quality multi-vitamin designed for reptiles with a little calcium added, but don't overdo it. Think about using pinkies, I know you don't really like the idea, but it's all about the Garter and what's best for her at the end of the day.

Lulu Bennett
07-26-2007, 04:02 PM
i agree with james there. at the end of the day the pinkie give the snake all that it possibly needs and i think it would be better than overloading it with aload of vitimins. i think if you are not willing to do this then it might be better off in the wild.
by the way i don't mean to sound harsh or nasty and i am sorry if this offends i dont mean to.:o

Elliot
07-26-2007, 04:06 PM
i agree with james there. at the end of the day the pinkie give the snake all that it possibly needs and i think it would be better than overloading it with aload of vitimins. i think if you are not willing to do this then it might be better off in the wild.
by the way i don't mean to sound harsh or nasty and i am sorry if this offends i dont mean to.:o

I've also heard that if you feed bigger mice than pinkies, it's better. It makes sense, fuzzies have less fat than pinkies, and I assume that they'd have more calcium since they have more developed bones.

Kurly1
07-26-2007, 06:00 PM
Thank You for the information. I plan on feeding him pinkies. But I have to wait until my son comes home from his summer visit with my sister. It is his snake and he begged me to wait so he could actually do it, which I am okay with. He will be home next week but Kurly needs to eat tomorrow and all I have is fish. We have had him for 6 weeks and have never given him the vitamin supplement and I thought maybe I should with this feeding.

Just want to keep him healthy until we start on those pinkies! :)

Stefan-A
07-26-2007, 09:54 PM
I've also heard that if you feed bigger mice than pinkies, it's better. It makes sense, fuzzies have less fat than pinkies, and I assume that they'd have more calcium since they have more developed bones.
That's what I've head, too. I've also heard that the fur might cause problems.

Elliot
07-26-2007, 09:55 PM
I've never heard anything about the fur, I might need to look that up. I don't see why it would cause a problem though.

Thamnophis
07-27-2007, 07:02 PM
My advise: any multivitamin powder that is especially made for reptiles will do. Add some calcium and make sure there is Vitamin B1 (thiamine) present in the supplement.

Some snakes do eat crickets. For example Opheodrys species.
Gartersnakes normally do not eat them, but I think, when there is not much "normal" food present in the wild they will eat them. In captivity they do not eat them as far as I know.

Snaky
07-28-2007, 06:49 AM
My advise: any multivitamin powder that is especially made for reptiles will do. Add some calcium and make sure there is Vitamin B1 (thiamine) present in the supplement.
Would be my advice to.

If the fish you give are of high quality, they normally also contain enough vitamins, calcium, ... as the snake's should need. Fish that contain thiaminase should always be powdered with vitamin B1. I powder occasionally with a complete multivitamin powder, but certainly not all the time. If the snake is pregnant or a little one I powder more with calcium.

Kurly1
07-29-2007, 09:55 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I didn't realize that "thaimine" was Vitamin B1. When I was reading the ingredient label on the product I bought, I was looking for the actual words "Vitamin B1". Thaimine is listed on the ingredient label so it should be fine.

Not even sure if I will need it now anyway but it is still good to have on hand. We are going to try feeding Kurly his first pinky tomorrow so wish us luck!