PDA

View Full Version : Weird Head Shape on Garter

MafiaM16
04-30-2015, 09:50 PM
I would like some opinions on one of my recently obtained Eastern garter snake. The most recent images within my Gallery showcases him (under the title of Piggie). I'm not able to post URLs, so that'll have to do for now. But anyways, it's pattern and colouration is not really what strikes me since Easterns are highly variable, but the head shape does. He is housed with a cage mate who shows normal pattern, colouration, and head shape. The two are similar in size with 'Piggie' being the larger of the two. They are both young snakes... perhaps a year or two old. If my scale is correct they are 10 and 15 grams in weight. Not sure if this information would be helpful though.
Any outside thoughts on this would be highly grateful. Thanks!

Albert Clark
05-01-2015, 03:42 PM
Hi MafiaM16, I visited your gallery today and looked at the pic of piggy. IMO, it looks like it may be a little bit of a birth defect. If I am on the right track it is known as "duckbilling". He is a beautiful garter. How is he doing in the enclosure? How's his appetite? As long as he is adapting and his quality of life seems good he should be ok. Stay in peace and not pieces.

MafiaM16
05-01-2015, 04:28 PM
Never heard of the term duckbilling before. Thanks for that bit of information about it. My first thoughts were some sort of birth defect, but of course I could not be sure. I am glad that someone else had gave me some feedback on it. He is doing fine from what I can tell and he eats fine for the most part too. Anyways, thanks man. Highly appreciated!

Albert Clark
05-01-2015, 04:53 PM
Never heard of the term duckbilling before. Thanks for that bit of information about it. My first thoughts were some sort of birth defect, but of course I could not be sure. I am glad that someone else had gave me some feedback on it. He is doing fine from what I can tell and he eats fine for the most part too. Anyways, thanks man. Highly appreciated!

YW. I am no expert and I certainly could be wrong. There will be other people with more expertise than me who will comment on it soon. But good luck and I wouldn't worry about it at all. :) Oh, welcome to the club here.

Tommytradix
05-01-2015, 08:35 PM
i had a male with that same head shape lol nothing to worry about