PDA

View Full Version : When to separate out gravid females?

d_virginiana
04-08-2015, 01:17 PM
I'm pretty sure my first attempt at getting my garters to mate was successful. You can't really tell for sure yet, but the male went from being completely interested in the female to not caring at all pretty quickly, so my guess is she's gravid.

Anyway, my question is when should I separate her out and start keeping her away from the male? They seem fine together for right now, but I imagine the male should be removed before the babies arrive. Just wondering if there was a specific point when it would benefit the female to be alone.

guidofatherof5
04-08-2015, 05:15 PM
I'd leave the male in for a few more weeks to a month. Just because you saw a lock up doesn't mean he scored a bulls-eye. They might lock up again and they're certainly isn't much risk by having them together. Just my opinion.

Tommytradix
04-08-2015, 06:21 PM
my opinion is the same as steves cause thats what i do lol i leave my male in there until the female is confirmed to be gravid even if it takes months ahaha they breed eventually

d_virginiana
04-08-2015, 07:21 PM
Alright, the male is still in there with her, I just didn't know if it would be stressful to the female to have them together while she's gravid. I'll leave him in another month or so.

Bad news is I think the younger male (the smaller one) tried courting her, but I never saw a lockup so the backup male is the one she's been with the longest. I think he may have been too young/small :( He'll just have to wait till next year to pass his genes on I guess.

Tommytradix
04-08-2015, 08:49 PM
what species?

d_virginiana
04-08-2015, 09:18 PM
Eastern garters.

slipknot711
04-09-2015, 04:55 AM
i love easterns, keep us updated! try taking a picture of her now and again maybe in a month or two, and keep taking pics, they keep growing when gravid but i know with me you dont see the change in the body, having pics for yourself may help, and of course i like pictures. may we see the pair thats has locked?

guidofatherof5
04-09-2015, 06:32 PM
I think if he's mature enough to smell a ready female his size means nothing. He'll have to take his lumps just like the bigger males. Hang on until the ride is over boy.

Tommytradix
04-09-2015, 07:01 PM
I think if he's mature enough to smell a ready female his size means nothing. He'll have to take his lumps just like the bigger males. Hang on until the ride is over boy.

hahahaa!!!

Tommytradix
04-09-2015, 07:02 PM
​thats so true steve the females drag them around first time i seen it i though she was gonna break his junk

d_virginiana
04-09-2015, 07:03 PM
Well, the smaller one had the first shot at mating and then went back in a couple times after that. The one that's been in with her since both males seemed to lose interest and I stopped seeing mating behavior has been my second choice guy.

guidofatherof5
04-10-2015, 05:48 AM
​thats so true steve the females drag them around first time i seen it i though she was gonna break his junk

The males look so pathetic. All I can do is laugh, especially when the female takes them in the water for a little spin cycle. The look on their face is like "HELP". It's easy to understand why they have 2 tools. I've found wild males with injured, dead junk hanging off them. A quick snip and they are fine. Well, as fine as you can be in that situation.

Tommytradix
04-10-2015, 03:03 PM
​like this steve lol11904

Tommytradix
04-10-2015, 03:05 PM
119051190611907​its scary seeing that for the first time hahaha

Tommytradix
04-10-2015, 03:07 PM
​ive seen it happen twice i poured sugar on it and it went back in11908

guidofatherof5
04-10-2015, 06:38 PM
​ive seen it happen twice i poured sugar on it and it went back in11908

Great photo Tommy. The ones I found where dried up like beef jerky, covered in dirt. Dried out and dead. When I clipped them there wasn't even any bleeding. They would have fallen off soon if I hadn't intervened.
Why sugar, anything to do with osmotic pressure? Just curious.

d_virginiana
04-10-2015, 06:44 PM
I believe it has to do with an ion concentration gradient in the cells (so osmotic pressure). I think the sugar pulls water out of the cells, reducing swelling and allowing it to go back in. I've seen the same thing recommended to treat intestinal prolapses in frogs and ball pythons.

Tommytradix
04-10-2015, 08:44 PM
Great photo Tommy. The ones I found where dried up like beef jerky, covered in dirt. Dried out and dead. When I clipped them there wasn't even any bleeding. They would have fallen off soon if I hadn't intervened.
Why sugar, anything to do with osmotic pressure? Just curious.

yes she answered for me lol