PDA

View Full Version : Dart Updates

ObsidianDragon
01-14-2015, 11:44 AM
Rather than make periodic threads, I figure I'd just...start this one and run with it. So behold, the adventures of Dart the pastel checkered garter!

So THE GOOD NEWS: I ordered a whole bunch of 1 day old pinks and he's finally eating them whole. Hurray! I am braining them for now, but I'll try cutting that out soon. He took two last night--a relief, because last time I offered him multiple prey items he snubbed the second one.

I still feed via plating and then covering the enclosure. If I try to tong feed him (as I did last week) he'll drop the mouse as soon as I move. He doesn't seem any tamer than when I got him in August. He's still a shoestring, of course, but I'd been hoping for some progress by now. Oh well.

We did have some stuck shed to deal with last week--just a bit on the tail. Not surprising since humidity has dropped to 15% or so with the winter. I do offer both snakes humid hides 24/7, but Dart doesn't tend to live there while he's in blue like my king will. I had him take a swim, and then tried to see if crawling through a damp towel would work. Nope! So I tried to gently hold him in one hand and then work the shed off the end of his tail with the other, which was quite the trick with a flaily little thing.

I only nearly dropped him once. :P

I did get it off eventually! I enjoyed watching him swim, although I think he was disappointed there were no fish lurking in the water.

He'll be getting a mild enclosure shake up soon. It's time for a cleaning, so I'll rearrange his beloved clutter some. I've also decided to add UV light to his set up--I realize it's not "needed" for snakes but after doing some reading and chatting with a few other keepers, I want to try.

snakegirl909
01-14-2015, 01:40 PM
Sounds like good news :) glad that he's eating whole pinkies. Some of my snakes will eat off tongs and some won't. If the cage only has a snake in than I find it's just easier for me to put the pinkies in a dish and walk away.

ObsidianDragon
01-14-2015, 02:09 PM
My kingsnake, for contrast, needs to food to be on tongs or shoved directly in front of his face. When I leave him to find his own, it doesn't get eaten!

guidofatherof5
01-14-2015, 03:18 PM
Good update. Thanks.

ObsidianDragon
01-26-2015, 10:18 AM
After a cage cleaning and rearranging, his activity level has picked back up! Nice to see my buddy out and about again, even if he's not thrilled to see me. ;)

He's way more green in person--definitely losing the pastel baby yellow. Alas.

Have a bonus video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-cl=84503534&v=zEBASJOI_f8&x-yt-ts=1421914688&feature=player_embedded).

He's now also eating one day pinks whole without me even having to brain them, so I'm happy. 22.6 grams!

ObsidianDragon
02-05-2015, 11:29 AM
http://youtu.be/-E8UmFJZCqY

He still doesn't like me, in case you were wondering.

slipknot711
02-05-2015, 12:53 PM
haha^ hes too cute tho!

snakegirl909
02-06-2015, 08:01 PM
Beautiful :)
Btw ashley, your new pic is confusing me so much :p. I keep looking at it and being like "who the heck is that.. oh wait"