PDA

View Full Version : Why is my Albino Checkered Garter Snake striking at me? HELP

LizzP
10-01-2014, 02:16 AM
her name is Ashley. She is about 7 months old. She is fed every Tuesday with as many minnows as she can eat. She has been striking me for two weeks now non stop. I dont understand why. i never have the sent of food on my hands. Im always gentle with her. I let her know before i touch her because she can see me. But she gets in her stance and strikes right away and she will 20 times in a row if i let her. Why is she doing this?

Mommy2many
10-01-2014, 06:08 PM
You named her Ashley. That explains everything, IMHO.

Mommy2many
10-01-2014, 06:11 PM
I have a teenager that does the same thing. Her name is Ashley.

snakegirl909
10-01-2014, 06:13 PM
Welcome to the forum!!!
If you haven't yet, be sure to check out the care sheet on here. And we would love to see pictures ;)
I'm actually jealous, I love feisty little snakes. I find it so cute :D
She is most likely biting you out of fear, and not for food. How long have you had her? Often new snakes will be extra nervous, and more likely to bite.
Are you feeding her rosy minnows? those are actually thought to contain thiaminase, so you should try to stay away from those. If you want to feed live, go with guppies. Or you could use frozen silverside minnows.
-Mel

Mommy2many
10-01-2014, 06:16 PM
Welcome! I should have said that first.:)

guidofatherof5
10-01-2014, 06:42 PM
Welcome to the forum!!!
If you haven't yet, be sure to check out the care sheet on here. And we would love to see pictures ;)
I'm actually jealous, I love feisty little snakes. I find it so cute :D
She is most likely biting you out of fear, and not for food. How long have you had her? Often new snakes will be extra nervous, and more likely to bite.
Are you feeding her rosy minnows? those are actually thought to contain thiaminase, so you should try to stay away from those. If you want to feed live, go with guppies. Or you could use frozen silverside minnows.
-Mel

Good points to bring up. Minnows as a rule also carry a heavy parasite load especially those purchased from bait shops. In my experience having a snake in a high traffic area can be helpful. This allows the snake to see you often, this will help them learn that you are not a threat. Hand feeding also can help. Then there is the occasional garter that just doesn't adjust to a life with humans. This doesn't happen very often. Looking forward to seeing some photos when you have time. Are you sure of the sex? I only ask because male seem to be much less social. My males want fed and females. Whereas my girls like to just hangout. Food is important be they also like to socialize. Here's a link to the care sheet which is always a good read. Feel free to ask all the questions you might have.

Garter Snake Forum - Garter Caresheet (http://www.thamnophis.com/index.php?page=caresheet)

P.S. Please be sure to introduce yourself in the welcome lounge so we can give you a proper hello.

Welcome Lounge (http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/welcome-lounge/)

Mommy2many
10-02-2014, 05:18 PM
Thought about your post and realized I never addressed your issue. I apologize for that. Your snake may be striking at you if she is going to go into shed. She may also be striking if she has ben startled recently. I have a male who strikes at my daughter all the time but not at me. He has been in my household since the day he was born :) You may also smell like food even if you don't think you do. Try approaching her at a level that is not above her. They feel more threatened when approached from above. After all of these techniques, I can only say wait it out. She may get over it or it may be something you may have to live with. You may have to approach her cautiously and just be mor epatient with her. Good luck. Please post pictures of Ashley.

d_virginiana
10-02-2014, 09:57 PM
Try laying your hand flat on the bottom of the enclosure and just not moving no matter what she does (most strikes are probably 'nose bumps' rather than actual intended bites). She'll get used to the smell, and eventually stop being AS startled by you. Like Steve said, some garters never adjust to living around humans, but it's rare.
Also, she's still pretty young. They tend to remain more skittish and bitey when they're small. That may be part of your issue, especially if she's on the small side.