PDA

View Full Version : Catching wild garters?.

Majorica
08-31-2014, 10:14 PM
I'm wondering what the opinions are on catching wild garter snakes as pets.
- Ecological concerns of removing wild garter snakes.
- Parasites.
- Stress levels of wild garter snakes.
- Getting wild garter snakes to eat pre-killed prey.

Martinz21
09-01-2014, 06:30 AM
As far as ecological concerns that has a lot of variables that goes with it. You have to think about where you are in the country, what the population of Garters is like in your area, State laws about collecting wild animals for private use, and also if you are worried about an ecological impact what gender you are going to collect. For example, taking a female out of the population will have a greater impact than removing a male.
When it comes to parasites there is a relatively good chance of there being some form of parasite. The best thing you could do is keep it separate from any other snake you have and monitor its health. Typically it isn't a very big deal for the wild Garter as they have lived with it, more than likely, for a long time in the wild.
Just providing a comfortable (i.e. hides, water, etc.) enclosure should help reduce stress in the animal.
The eating issue is on an individual basis as they all have their own personalities. Some will take to it faster than others.

joeysgreen
09-01-2014, 01:07 PM
- Ecological concerns of removing wild garter snakes.
I combine this with moral reason's to not remove from the wild. Reptiles in general are facing huge population pressures from roadkill, loss of habitat, habitat alteration, pollution/pesticides, disease etc. 50 years ago, the pressures of pet collection were a minor inconvenience; but now, anything minor is kicking a species when it is down. I would like us to not wait until gartersnakes are endangered before we consider them worth saving.
If wild caught animals are the best option to establish captive bred stock, it should be done with carefull planning and forethought. They should be taken from strong populations, and young of that year. This age group is the most expendable and likely to fall to predation anyways.

- Parasites.
All wild caught animals have parasites. They will accumulate in captivity due stress and an enclosed environment. Get a fecal done and deworm as appropriate.

- Stress levels of wild garter snakes.
They acclimate to captivity really well provided they are cared for properly.

- Getting wild garter snakes to eat pre-killed prey
Generally not that difficult. Consider feeding variety of live prey as a means of environmental enrichment.

Ian

Mommy2many
09-01-2014, 03:02 PM
I have had several WC garters over the years. They acclimate fine to feeding and usually handling. I have never had an issue feeding a WC pre-killed food (i.e. pinkies).

Kantar
09-16-2014, 03:51 PM
I've had my wild caught for 4 years now, found her when she was just a tiny squiggly wiggly on the ground trying to get away, she was so tiny and had a super bright pattern (radix) so I brought her home, took care of her, now she is housed with a bunch of checkered garters for the last few years

As for feeding, start with worms... I had to scent pinkies and tilapia with worms to eat the other stuff

She is a good snake and right now she is chilling on top of the vines by the light :)

as for environmental impact, I think it was low impact even though it was female. The area I found her in is a developing area and the snakes have dwindled in numbers over the last 2 decades, I used to find dozens, now I might be able to find 1 in a year. I don't think she would have lasted very long because the very next day the temps dropped and it snowed!

joeysgreen
09-16-2014, 10:12 PM
Kantar, you bring up some very interesting points.

1. Wild caught garters can do very well in captivity
2. Indeed babies are the most likely to die from natural causes like snow. However, even babies naturally hibernate in the wild.
3. Human development kills more snakes than pet collectors. Your area sounds like it only supports a fraction of what it used to. This means;
a) Your individual snake has decreased chances of survival in the wild than it would have 10yrs ago; it indeed likely will die (as in all neonates)
b) This stressed population needs all of it's animals to survive and isn't a good candidate for collecting.

Ian

Kantar
09-19-2014, 02:51 PM
3. Human development kills more snakes than pet collectors. Your area sounds like it only supports a fraction of what it used to. This means;
a) Your individual snake has decreased chances of survival in the wild than it would have 10yrs ago; it indeed likely will die (as in all neonates)
b) This stressed population needs all of it's animals to survive and isn't a good candidate for collecting.

It's not only human development, but local kids here consider it a game "Hey! lets go to the creek and kill snakes!" Way too often I went to the spot and found dead snakes. It's sad, the place is so over runned with frogs and no snakes to keep them under control

Jeff B
09-19-2014, 07:52 PM
Buy captive babies. Leave wild snakes in the wild....of course my opinion might be slightly biased. Realize too, that in many states that may be against the law.

joeysgreen
09-20-2014, 12:19 AM
Biased or not, Jeff has it correct IMO.