PDA

View Full Version : is it ok to feed my garters chicken liver?

slipknot711
08-26-2014, 08:07 AM
i know u can feed them hearts and stuff, but i ask because the liver is a filter for toxins basically and wondered if it would be safe? I fed some as snacks to my turtles and only want to use them as treats and since they have a shelf date i wanted to see what your thoughts were on livers. this iwill not be a staple meal by any means, just as a treat now and again when the turtles get their treats. thanks a bunch!

BLUESIRTALIS
08-26-2014, 10:23 AM
READ THREAD http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/general-talk/9472-chicken-liver.html?highlight=

slipknot711
08-26-2014, 11:10 AM
Fantastic Ty for the link checking the forum on my phone today and it doesn't like searches haha. Can't wait to give everyone a treat!!!!

BLUESIRTALIS
08-26-2014, 01:34 PM
I like beef and chicken liver fried up and salted and served with rice and gravy and some peas and carrots, but i am a little worried about eating too much liver cause i bet since they give our food harmones and steroids the liver has higher amounts.

joeysgreen
08-26-2014, 10:48 PM
Hormones and steroids are both metabolized and/or excreted without trouble. The liver isn't so much a filter as it is an organ where metabolites and other large compounds are broken down to components that can be excreted, generally by the urinary system. I'm sure some toxins would accumulate, but this can happen anywhere in the body, from the bones to the fat or integument.

slipknot711
08-27-2014, 05:07 AM
thank you guys so much. it will just be as a treat now and again so i feel fine giving it to them, the babies wanted no part in it haha but my big ladies couldnt swarm me fast enough at the smell of this new treat!

BLUESIRTALIS
08-27-2014, 06:31 AM
That's good to know!
Hormones and steroids are both metabolized and/or excreted without trouble. The liver isn't so much a filter as it is an organ where metabolites and other large compounds are broken down to components that can be excreted, generally by the urinary system. I'm sure some toxins would accumulate, but this can happen anywhere in the body, from the bones to the fat or integument.