PDA

View Full Version : Wild red-sided at my pond feeding on pieces of goldfish

Jeff B
08-17-2014, 08:50 PM
Had a red-sided garter visiting the pond in my box turtle pen today. I was eating goldfish. I dont' get upset about that because my goldfish produce hundreds of babies every year, so I am more than happy to see a wild garter dinning on them. I caught one of the larger goldfish and cut it up into pieces and laid them on the rocks next to the pond and waited. Didn't have to wait long before she came out of the grass to fiest on the cut fish. Hopefully this video that I took on my phone will show up. I had some trouble not focusing on the screened window at first so bear with the beginning the video gets better.
http://youtu.be/i1_2Kaa2QFg

guidofatherof5
08-18-2014, 06:44 PM
Nice. Great to see them in a nature doing what they do best "Stealing"

Scott F
08-18-2014, 10:15 PM
Very cool, thx for sharing.

Scott

Eddie
08-19-2014, 08:14 PM
WOW!!
That was awesome!! She looked like a big girl. That's very cool to have the wild ones at your door step.
Thanks for the video.
Ed

d_virginiana
08-19-2014, 09:28 PM
That's pretty awesome. Love seeing wild ones like that.

I was eating goldfish.

Couldn't help but laugh at that on the first read-through :)

norcalj
08-26-2014, 11:33 PM
Luckily that red-sided didn't try that in a koi pond

Jeff B
08-27-2014, 06:38 AM
Luckily that red-sided didn't try that in a koi pond

I have a large koi pond right next to the box turtle pen, but the koi are way to big for a garter. The koi pond does provide lots of food for the garters in the way of thousands of toads are produced in the koi pond. Lots of koi pond owners remove toad eggs and tadpoles from their ponds, I on the other hand put lots of plants in for them to spawn on and I built a shallow rock bog end just for wildlife to enjoy without a lot of water movement, which the koi pond snobs frown upon because it is harder to keep the water swimming pool clear. I like a natural looking pond with lots of plants and slightly stained and green naturally healthy water. I occasionally see garters at the koi pond too.

rickymar81
08-27-2014, 07:02 AM
That's so cool.

norcalj
08-27-2014, 09:10 PM
I have a large koi pond right next to the box turtle pen, but the koi are way to big for a garter. The koi pond does provide lots of food for the garters in the way of thousands of toads are produced in the koi pond. Lots of koi pond owners remove toad eggs and tadpoles from their ponds, I on the other hand put lots of plants in for them to spawn on and I built a shallow rock bog end just for wildlife to enjoy without a lot of water movement, which the koi pond snobs frown upon because it is harder to keep the water swimming pool clear. I like a natural looking pond with lots of plants and slightly stained and green naturally healthy water. I occasionally see garters at the koi pond too.

What I was thinking was that some of the larger koi might have tried to make a meal outta the snake.

Happy Snake
08-29-2014, 04:34 PM
Awesome! How wonderful to be able to watch it hunting without disturbing it. *jealous*