PDA

View Full Version : Breeding Garters

garterking7
07-21-2007, 06:39 PM
Hey, I have not really bred garter snakes myself so I was wonder how much work it is. I figured I could put both of my garters in my basement were it is fairly cool and in spring bring them back up and put them together. If there is anything I am forgetting please reply.

Odie
07-22-2007, 11:47 PM
Hi, from Oregon, garterking7 :)

GarterGirl
07-23-2007, 05:05 AM
Uh
I don't really know.
Sorry garterking7.

Ameivaboy
07-23-2007, 05:12 AM
make sure they havent eaten for at least 2 weeks before putting them "under" access to fresh water at all times is a must as well, also keep an eye on temps, i had a problem last year with my argentine tegu brumating and the temps werent low enough and her metabolism was still going and she got very skinny, had to bring her out of brumation early for her own good

Sid
07-23-2007, 06:28 AM
Hey, I have not really bred garter snakes myself so I was wonder how much work it is. I figured I could put both of my garters in my basement were it is fairly cool and in spring bring them back up and put them together. If there is anything I am forgetting please reply.
Another thing important to burmation, besides allowing them to "clean out" and cool down is to keep their enclosures dark.

Sid

Snaky
07-26-2007, 08:26 AM
You've been given good advice. Like the other indicate: Preparation is important.

A couple of my notes:
-brumation area needs to be dark.
-Check whether the temperature you'll have in the brumation room is not to high, nor to low. Not all garters need to be brumated at very low temperature's ( check the caresheet articles ), but for a few it's quite good to go to temperature like 6°C.
-Wait at least 2 weeks before you take them in brumation ( I personally wait 3 weeks )
-drop the temperature gradually and shorten the light cycle gradually ( I personally do about 2,5-3 weeks about it ).
-Once they are brumating, don't disturb them to often. But it's good to check on on them like every week or if you're more sure every 2 weeks. Like Ameivaboy says, you might need to bring them out of brumation is they loose to much weight. Last year the temperature stayed way to high during a long period and I also took them out to early for my norms.
-I also provide a water bowl and I make a dry and a 'wet' part ( humid, not soaked ).
- brumate them for at least 6 weeks ( I brumate adults for a longer period if the temperature allows it, 2 - 2,5 months )
-bring them out of brumation by gradually increasing the temperature and light cycle.