PDA

View Full Version : Which garter has the best temperament?

lupegirl8
07-22-2014, 12:08 AM
So there doesn't seem to be much information about garter snakes out there, and especially about their temperament. Do most garters have the same basic temperament or is there considerable difference between species? I'm curious to hear from the experiences of those who have actually kept different species of garter. Which are the most active, which hide more, which interact the most, which can be handled the easiest?

Saji
07-22-2014, 12:30 AM
Thamnophis don't differ a whole lot IMO. I like T. radix.

kueluck
07-22-2014, 05:11 AM
I really don't know if it matters. I have 2 Easterns (Thamnophis sirtalis parietalis) , one melanistic who is super friendly and just wants to hang out around your neck, and the other erythristic who is more on the shy side but not fearfull. I also have a Red sided (Thamnophis sirtalis parietalis) who is my best friend one moment, then the next will chew on you until your husband comes along with a pair of tongs to pry her mouth open so you can get your hand, finger or whatever body part she's grabbed out of her mouth. Also have a tiny baby Florida Blue (Thamnophis sirtalis similis)but to early to tell, but she's calming down day by day. All mine are active during the day, always looking to see what's going on in the world around them. One of the reasons I love these critters.

guidofatherof5
07-22-2014, 05:52 AM
From my experience I would say T. radix - Plains Garter is the most interactive and easy going. This is a very biased opinion though;) I've kept 12 different species and still stand by my original statement.

lupegirl8
07-22-2014, 08:07 AM
Does how often they are handled/interacted with as a baby have any impact, or is it mostly just individual personality?

guidofatherof5
07-22-2014, 08:58 AM
I would think the more familiar your snake is with you the less stress they will feel. That isn't always the case as some snakes are naturally nervous and don't calm down. This is a rare circumstance in my experience.

BLUESIRTALIS
07-22-2014, 09:01 AM
I knew this was coming! lol! All of my garters have a great temper except for a few wc animals.
From my experience I would say T. radix - Plains Garter is the most interactive and easy going. This is a very biased opinion though;) I've kept 12 different species and still stand by my original statement.

guidofatherof5
07-22-2014, 09:18 AM
I knew this was coming! lol! All of my garters have a great temper except for a few wc animals.

What?:D

kueluck
07-22-2014, 11:21 AM
I'm not sure if it matters or not, but the ones I have that were just a few weeks/days old are much sweeter. I guess it also depends how the "handling" experience goes for them also. If it's a constant "run-away the giant is gonna eat me mode", then not so much. Some say not to over handle, but when mine were babies I handled them every day, sometime twice. I've got one (2 years old) that comes right to the door when I open it, then proceeds up my arm and around me neck. I'm no expert on this, this is just my input
Does how often they are handled/interacted with as a baby have any impact, or is it mostly just individual personality?

Saji
07-22-2014, 12:47 PM
I have a six month old Radix I don't handle often. She will strike at me a few times I take the punishment and then she will sit in my lap four an hour. I am pretty sure if I handled her every other day from the beginning she wouldn't strike. Their bites don't hurt even adults IMO...but I've been tagged by a puff adder:-)

d_virginiana
07-22-2014, 02:46 PM
Handling as babies does seem to help. I have one that I bought as an adult, who I don't believe was handled very much previously that is very interactive (follows me around the room and begs for food) but flips out if you try to pick him up. I raised all my others from babies, and they are fine with being handled. The nippiest ones are those that tend to get super excited about food; they're fine once they realize I'm not food though.

Honestly male/female seems to make a bigger difference than species as far as temperament goes. Males are more active, and seem more prone to remain jumpy and easily startled. Females tend to be calmer and less energetic; they're the ones that will just sit on you and chill out. That's held true for every garter I've had.

guidofatherof5
07-22-2014, 03:36 PM
Handling as babies does seem to help. I have one that I bought as an adult, who I don't believe was handled very much previously that is very interactive (follows me around the room and begs for food) but flips out if you try to pick him up. I raised all my others from babies, and they are fine with being handled. The nippiest ones are those that tend to get super excited about food; they're fine once they realize I'm not food though.

Honestly male/female seems to make a bigger difference than species as far as temperament goes. Males are more active, and seem more prone to remain jumpy and easily startled. Females tend to be calmer and less energetic; they're the ones that will just sit on you and chill out. That's held true for every garter I've had.

Good point to bring up and I agree. The male radixes I have are much less cuddly as my females.

kueluck
07-23-2014, 04:49 AM
I never thought about gender. All I have are girls & sweeties they all are, except Jewels, the one I didn't raise from a baby. She can turn on you like a mad dog one second then sweet as southern tea the next.

chris-uk
07-23-2014, 12:34 PM
I've got a couple of really vicious female marcianus... But as a general rule my females are calmer.

My Cuitzeos are probably most nervous. Although the female will happily feed while wrapped around my hand. The male doesn't like being held, in the past he was happier being held by the wife than me though.
My tetrataenia male is confident in the viv but doesn't like being held.
Then I think my cyrtopsis are next most nervous. The female is fine if I dig her out, but I don't often see her out in the open. The male is the only one of mine that has musked me frequently.
My infernalis are skittish when I try to get them out, but do calm down after a minute or so in the hand. Although interestingly they do come the the open doors of their viv quite readily and will check out my hands when I keep outside the viv.
Marcianus can vary depending which way the wind is blowing, my vicious pair are always snappy though, my other two are either really friendly quite skittish.
My three radix are all happy to be held and I don't have any problems with them coming out.

guidofatherof5
07-23-2014, 12:46 PM
I've got a couple of really vicious female marcianus... But as a general rule my females are calmer.

My Cuitzeos are probably most nervous. Although the female will happily feed while wrapped around my hand. The male doesn't like being held, in the past he was happier being held by the wife than me though.
My tetrataenia male is confident in the viv but doesn't like being held.
Then I think my cyrtopsis are next most nervous. The female is fine if I dig her out, but I don't often see her out in the open. The male is the only one of mine that has musked me frequently.
My infernalis are skittish when I try to get them out, but do calm down after a minute or so in the hand. Although interestingly they do come the the open doors of their viv quite readily and will check out my hands when I keep outside the viv.
Marcianus can vary depending which way the wind is blowing, my vicious pair are always snappy though, my other two are either really friendly quite skittish.
My three radix are all happy to be held and I don't have any problems with them coming out.

That's not surprising, it's a radix.;)

Saji
07-23-2014, 01:45 PM
Radixs, Ameen!

Mommy2many
07-23-2014, 02:29 PM
The puget sound I have "snakesat" for the past 2 years is the most social of all. The radix female loves to come out and my red sided male also has been very interested in coming out to play as well.

RedSidedSPR
07-23-2014, 07:34 PM
it also depends on what you mean by best temperament. my eastern is straight from hell and it's awesome.

kueluck
07-24-2014, 05:17 AM
You want a female Sybil child to go with yours. She tried to eat my finger while WEARING gloves this morning when feeding her. Trying prying a rubber glove outta the mouth of one determined snake.
it also depends on what you mean by best temperament. my eastern is straight from hell and it's awesome.