PDA

View Full Version : Lights causing blindness?

Sputnik
07-21-2007, 08:11 AM
When I showed photos of my new viv to a friend, he told me not to add lights as it could cause blindness to the snakes. As the light source would be much closer than in nature there could be a risk of damaging the snakes' retinae.
Has anyone else ever come across this information? :(

adamanteus
07-21-2007, 09:21 AM
Ultra-violet light could have an adverse effect on the eyesight, if the snake is unable to escape from it, but regular lighting poses no threat as far as I'm aware.

stonyloam
07-21-2007, 10:00 AM
Full tropical sunlight is about 10,000 lumens per sq ft. An incandescent bulb puts out about 16 lumens per watt. A 100 watt bulb puts out about 1600 lumens total (radiated in all directions). So even with a reflector the light energy from a bulb 15 inches above a surface would only be a few hundred lumens /sq ft. Even in the northern areas where the sun is less intense (maybe 3-5000 lumens / sq ft) it is still many times the intensity of the lamp. It is hard to see where that intensity of light would be harmful. BTW a lumen is equal to the amount of light from 1 standard candle falling on a 1 sq ft surface placed 1 foot away (I think it is lux in metric, and I am not even going to try the conversion). Hope this helps a little.:rolleyes:

GarterGuy
07-21-2007, 08:24 PM
The bulbs that are sold for reptile lighting are perfectly safe for your snakes. Even some of the UVA and UVB bulbs that are sold for herps don't even come close to what natural sunlight offers. And even with them they say the animals have to be within say a foot of the bulb for them to even get the benefits of the UVA or UVB. I've lighted all my snake tanks with full spectrum fluorescent bulbs for almost 20yrs now and have NEVER had any adverse affects.

Roy

Jake Dubz
09-04-2007, 03:01 AM
I've got a Screw in blacklight bulb (actual UV blacklight, not and incandescent bulb with purple glass) are you saying it's not healthy to have this in his cage??? I have it where it can be a heat source as well as light, but I don't wanna hurt the fella, he hasn't seemed to mind at all so far

Jake Dubz
09-04-2007, 03:01 AM
i've got lots of cover and like 3 differen't shelter spots from the light as well

Elliot
09-04-2007, 06:24 PM
Your snake should still be ok.

drache
09-05-2007, 06:19 AM
I don't believe any bulbs to be as powerful as the sun
so unless you're pointing a laser beam at your snakes eye, I'd think it'd be fine with man-made light sources

sschind
11-10-2007, 09:37 AM
Check out this link, its a bit of a read but it is very interesting. It talks about some of the new UVB lights available and the problems they have been having.

UV Lighting for Reptiles: A new problem with high UVB output fluorescent compact lamps and tubes? (http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor.htm)

and another report with responses from the manufacturers in question

http://www.uvguide.co.uk/photothera...y.htm#responses (http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor-summary.htm#responses)

If you are not into UVB lights for any of your pets it does not apply to you but for those of us who have basking herps requiring UVB it is an interesting read.

drache
11-11-2007, 06:07 AM
whew
I just read a bit more thoroughly and found out that linear fluorescents are okay
Henner is still asleep, so he missed the whole thing

sschind
11-11-2007, 10:48 AM
That's what worried me for a moment. for now I thin I will stick with the reptisun 10.0 blubs.