PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum and Garters/Ribbons.

snipstedy
07-19-2014, 05:08 PM
Great forum! Its already been very helpful getting my snake set up. Nice photos as well. I caught a baby Ribbon (I think its a Ribbon) it has yellow stripes w/ a yellow spot on the top of the head, I recently started it on talapia how often should I feed it and how many strips of fish? Thanks:)

Saji
07-20-2014, 01:14 PM
Can you post a pic so some of us can get an idea of what species of snake it is?

snipstedy
07-20-2014, 01:36 PM
I will whenever it starts coming out (constantly hiding and I don't want to stress it). At first it was out all the time but I picked it up b/c it seemed to be doing fine but it was to soon though b/c it stressed out and hides a good bit w/ its head always poking out from time to time. A couple of days ago it had eaten two big strips of talapia and this a.m. it ate a strip but now when I put the strip in front of its peak hole it stretches up to the fish and just constantly smells it (maybe full or scared of me holding the hemostats). How often do they eat? Its about 7in. and a little thicker than a pencil so its very young baby.

Saji
07-22-2014, 04:10 PM
Probably full. Sounds like things are going well.

chris-uk
07-23-2014, 12:21 PM
Feeding frequency depends, but at the sort of size you've described I'd suggest every other day or thereabouts. If it fed this morning then feeding again this afternoon was probably too soon. If it won't take from the haemostats it's worth leaving it in a dish and wandering away for half an hour.

PsychedelicTarantulas
07-23-2014, 12:33 PM
It sounds like you may have a Western Ribbon Thamnophis proximus judging by your description. Can't be sure without a pic though.

snipstedy
07-23-2014, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the info.Ive managed to get some pics on my phone , when I get some time to figure out how to upload to the forum I will do should be soon tomorrow hopefully. I came home from work today and noticed a shed along the inside of a piece of tree that I gave it for a sort of hide/ background thing. It was extra hyper also when I came home it was darting from one side of the tank to the other off and on. I couldnt tell if it was freaking out wanting out or what. Are they usually energetic after a shed? I also noticed today that its not scared of me nearly as much. I gave it two small pieces of cut tilapia and still seemed starving but Im not going to give more till tomorrow. Seems to be growing fast to me.

guidofatherof5
07-23-2014, 06:48 PM
The sheds is proof of the growing, nice job.

snipstedy
07-24-2014, 04:08 PM
Its either hiding or not being still enough I'll try again to get a better pic when its out again. Its a ten gallon tank. I'm planning to be away from home for 4 days (work) . Would this snake be ok with two big bowls of water and able to not have food for that long? If absolutely necessary I can figure something else out. Thanks

Saji
07-24-2014, 04:43 PM
IMO that's a ribbon. I still think a close up would help. Take it and put it in a bucket or container it cant escape from and get a close up. It should'nt stress it out too much but that looks like a typical ribbon garter snake:-)

Saji

guidofatherof5
07-24-2014, 07:32 PM
I don't think that's a ribbon. Need some better photos, please.

Saji
07-24-2014, 08:55 PM
That 1st photo makes me think Ribbon..I'm with Steve on the photos.....

Mommy2many
07-25-2014, 10:57 AM
Make sure the snake eats right before you leave if you can; 4 days without food is ok; water is more important. Do you have someone to check and make sure the water is there and clean while you are gone?

snipstedy
07-25-2014, 05:46 PM
Looks like I will be able to come back once or twice during the week. I have only seen it drink once, I'm hoping its drinking at night at least. I've been giving it rain water is it better to give dechlorinated water?

guidofatherof5
07-25-2014, 06:46 PM
Looks like I will be able to come back once or twice during the week. I have only seen it drink once, I'm hoping its drinking at night at least. I've been giving it rain water is it better to give dechlorinated water?

Here's a link to a thread that should answer your question about water, hopefully.;):D
http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/husbandry/6378-water-importance.html

snipstedy
07-27-2014, 10:07 AM
I put it in a tub w/ dirt and leaves.1093910940

guidofatherof5
07-27-2014, 11:05 AM
I would suggest a more sanitary substrate. Many nasties in soil.
This is a subject for discussion in another thread so I hope I don't derail this thread with my post.

snipstedy
07-27-2014, 11:14 AM
It was just for a minute I wanted to get some better pics (hard to get in the tank w/ so many hides) and also I wanted to start handling it more. It stressed completely out last time and in case it got out of my hands I could get it in to the tub easier than the ten gallon on a stand thats high up. This time it let me hold it for a while with no problem.

guidofatherof5
07-27-2014, 11:15 AM
It was just for a minute I wanted to get some better pics (hard to get in the tank w/ so many hides) and also I wanted to start handling it more. It stressed completely out last time and in case it got out of my hands I could get it in to the tub easier than the ten gallon on a stand thats high up. This time it let me hold it for a while with no problem.

Sounds good.

snipstedy
07-27-2014, 11:58 AM
I regret not putting a tape measure in with to show what size it is. I'm feeding about three pieces telapia a little longer than than the length of its head every day. Most of the time it acts like its starving afterwards wanting more. Its safer to let it be kind of hungry I assume rather than feeding to much. Whats the best way to identify the sex? Does it look like a western Ribbon or something else?

guidofatherof5
07-27-2014, 03:17 PM
I think you could feed a couple more pieces at each meal. Fish goes through them rather quickly.
I need some closer photo to attempt an I.D.