PDA

View Full Version : Natural Morph?

Saji
07-19-2014, 09:52 AM
I was doing some yard herping, re-arranging rocks, setting fish at the mouth of tiny crevices ( I know its kinda lame) there has been alot of activity in our yard. I saw what I thought was a different species of snake, maybe a black racer or something. Upon getting closer it was a black garter. I know there are "black" morphs of garter. I dont know what they are called. Does this occur in the wild? It was a Garter. Looked like a typical radix body structure but had no lateral or dorsal lines and was jet black not just an ugly brown or dirty looking garter. It was small and I couldnt catch it to get a closer look but I am almost 100% sure it was a radix.

Sorry for all the posts. When I see alot of activity in my yard I get an adrenaline rush and when I share it with non-garter enthusiasts I generally get the "rolled eyes" and "so what". Plus I kinda live vicariously through all you guys with big collections and Garters that will eat and show activity.

Regards,
Saji

guidofatherof5
07-19-2014, 12:47 PM
Finding a true melanistic plains garter in the wild would be a very important find.
I'm not saying that wasn't what you saw but more then likely you saw a rather dark-phase plains. There is such variety in the plains species, light, dark, green, red, orange, brick, brown, bright yellow dorsals, solid orange dorsals, etc.
The nice thing is they all can be found in one area.

joeysgreen
07-19-2014, 05:43 PM
Eastern gartersnakes are commonly found in a jet black phase, but it can be locality specific. I believe the southernmost tip of Ontario is one of those places, but recall them turning up elsewhere too.

Baby radix can sometimes look jet black when they scurry out of sight. The radix here in central Alberta are not checkered but all black with the orange racing stripe.

Saji
07-20-2014, 07:50 AM
I dont know, but it was cool. Even if it was just really dark. Its was 18" thin, male. Maybe just a dark male. I couldnt make out the typical orange/yellow dorsal or creamish lateral. It was just exciting to see.

slipknot711
07-21-2014, 06:01 AM
itll be exciting for you to try and see and or catch this little boy then to get soe pictures!

Frenchie
08-01-2014, 12:32 AM
Melanistcs are generally found in Ontario not only in the south but also right 15 minutes from Downtown Toronto.These specimens were placed there some 25-30 years ago & now have thrived as a colony & are getting heavily populated .It was & still is a very smart project.Here is one Juvie from the original Point Pelee stock that I held back ;-)10987109881098910990

Saji
08-01-2014, 07:29 AM
Interesting. I stopped keeping thamnophis but I still love them.