PDA

View Full Version : Moral/Ethical Dilemma?

Saji
07-18-2014, 12:31 PM
I have a playground of sorts for Radix's around my house and I keep coming acoss this big, fat, happy, gravid female. I really want to bring her in and let her have the "kids" in captivity and my justification is that likely more would live to adulthood. My other alarm that goes off is "let nature take its course, there are tons of captive bred radix's and they breed regularly.

I'm conflicted.

I guess the bottom line is "Am I capable of careing for that many young and would they really be better off in captivity"..

*shrugs*

Saji

guidofatherof5
07-18-2014, 12:36 PM
I would say let nature do its thing and enjoy the bounty of wild radixes you have around you.

Saji
07-18-2014, 01:00 PM
I would say let nature do its thing and enjoy the bounty of wild radixes you have around you.

Steve, I love my two scrubs but I get just as much enjoyment out of throwing a worm or fish to a wild radix or leaving it on their doorstep to surprise them. Your absolutely right:p

joeysgreen
07-18-2014, 10:46 PM
Good choice. That momma's purpose is to build the next generation of wild radix and captivity takes that away from her. To the population that you enjoy in the backyard, she is the most valuable of age and gender.

Ian

Saji
07-19-2014, 08:35 AM
Well, she was out sunning this morning and a male was about 5 feet from her. He moved fast into a crevice ( we have two eleven foot long, 2 foot high rock walls made of multiple slate rocks). I ran in the house grabbed a big crawler and approached her slowly. She then reared back in defensive posture then laid her head (bottom of) on the rock and let me hand feed her a crawler (not that I my finger wasnt her target too). Thats worth a THOUSAND captive Radixs.

Saji

guidofatherof5
07-19-2014, 08:42 AM
Feeding the wild ones doesn't come without consequences.
She's now come and tap on the window to get more food.:D

Saji
07-19-2014, 09:27 AM
Feeding the wild ones doesn't come without consequences.
She's now come and tap on the window to get more food.:D

Just like Alligators in Florida. Looks like I will be ordering a lot of worms on pay day. I do have about 6 whole Tilapia. Are those safe to feed? I am getting into the whole "wild radix feeding".

Saji

Stefan-A
07-20-2014, 11:41 AM
On a related note: Their predators need to eat, too.

Mommy2many
07-23-2014, 02:46 PM
Just a FYI. My Radix girl just had 24 babies, no slugs and no still borns. That is the biggest litter I have had!

slipknot711
07-24-2014, 05:44 AM
thats so exciting le ann!!!!!