PDA

View Full Version : ID's please and some advice

DEKAN
07-20-2007, 10:41 PM
So, in a previous post I offered some species from Mexico, offcourse legally, the guy who told me that he could find them took over a week and a half and today he gives me some blurry shots of babies. So, maybe you can identify them...Sorry again guys I was told and also the guy, that the snakes were not babies...but hey, it's Mexico everything can happen here =( . Sad but true.

So I've a doubt on the species, also I hope that you like the photo, I know they are blurry, without light but... maybe you know them. And the advice, should I give him more time, or it's useless?

thanx again.

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/3412/dsc00211dv0.jpg
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/8522/dsc00202sf5.jpg

I had to make it more clear on this one...it was so dark =(

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/452/dsc00207za4.jpg

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/9121/dsc00203fh3.jpg

ssssnakeluvr
07-20-2007, 11:23 PM
the top 2 are thamnophis pulchrilatus, yellow throated garter, can't tell on the 3rd photo, the 4th could be thamnophis scaliger, mexican highland garter snake....:D

adamanteus
07-21-2007, 02:33 AM
Yes, I'll second everything Don just said!!

Sid
07-21-2007, 06:01 AM
I'll agree with Don on the first photos. Here's a description forT scaliger: Mid shade of gray background color, dorsal and lateral strips a paler gray with brownish blotches bordered with black between the dorsal and lateral strips.

Sid

PS, If you find a pair of the T. Scaliger, I'm definately interested.

KITKAT
07-21-2007, 10:41 AM
How difficult would it be for someone to ship mexican species into the USA? Can they be legally sold up here, or are they protected?:rolleyes:

adamanteus
07-21-2007, 01:06 PM
KITKAT, I do believe ALL Mexican species are protected and it would therefore be illegal to buy and sell them. I may be wrong, but I think such is the case.

DEKAN
07-21-2007, 02:35 PM
KITKAT, I do believe ALL Mexican species are protected and it would therefore be illegal to buy and sell them. I may be wrong, but I think such is the case.

Really? :confused: well here they sell them with papers legally, all snakes and thamnophis that are born in captivity in legal pet stores have them. Mmmm I really don't know about U.S. laws...but, if it's illegal it's good to know. :)

I may be buy one pulchrilatus, I've never seen one.

adamanteus
07-21-2007, 02:39 PM
Robert, I might be wrong! Is there not a "blanket ban" on the export of all Mexican fauna?

DEKAN
07-21-2007, 06:34 PM
Robert, I might be wrong! Is there not a "blanket ban" on the export of all Mexican fauna?

There are some Thamnophis protected even for mexicans, I'm not against these kinds of laws, someone has to protect them, if the snakes are in the wild life and you sell or affect their habitat that, is illegal for sure, on any species not only thamnophis... So, I asked my gouverment wich were the species and here are the protected ones.

Cryrtopis
Digueti
Elegans
Eques
Exsul
Godmani
Hammondi
Marcianus
Mendax
Nigronucaulis
Proximus
Scalaris
Scaliger
Sirtalis
Sumichrasti
Vicinus

So...this species can't be exported, the others not listed could be but only on some conditions.

I think, I can't buy that lovely snake :(

GarterGuy
07-21-2007, 08:10 PM
Yeh, as far as I know, nothing is coming out of Mexico at all. All fauna are protected from export...it's why you don't see wild caught Mexican redleg tarantulas anymore. They used to be everwhere when you could get them legally, now all of them are captive bred (actually better for the animals anyways). I honestly don't know about animals that are captive bred in Mexico though...I imagine though they'd still be considered a native species and would fall under the same laws that regulate wildcaught animals.

Roy

Daniel
07-22-2007, 06:00 AM
If it is the same like in Germany, where all natural living reptilies and amphibians are strictly protected by law, than it is no problem to sell captive bred or legally caught animals. You only have to have the right papers.

Best wishes,

Daniel