PDA

View Full Version : Lovely wild garter

acovert
07-12-2014, 10:42 PM
Hello! It's been quite a while since I posted on here, but today I have found a reason to make a new thread.

My family, myself, and my boyfriend (a new one - not the one who helped me catch scar) went down to Barton Park in Clackamas County, OR today since the weather would be nice and my mom's husband was away on drill. I was sitting on a rock in the water with my boyfriend when he urgently tapped on my shoulder and pointed to the other side of me. Not too far away, in the water, a lovely snake was floating, head held up in alert. It appeared yellow and black from a distance. Of course, being a snake enthusiast, I immediately sprang at it. A several minute chase through the river then ensued, ending when the snake swam towards a dog and slowed down out of fear (it was a very populated area, with lots of dogs, people, kids and noise). I was surprised to see a snake there at all.

Anyways, after I caught it and showed it off to some of the people there (a few of them wanted pictures with the big snake!) I took some pictures to share with you guys. I found this wild snake very beautiful, and though my pictures are not the best quality, hopefully everyone here can see a little bit of the beauty that I saw. I'm also hoping some of you might be able to provide me with an identification (type, sex if possible). This specimen was much bigger than my two northwestern boys. Here are the pictures that I took to share with everyone.

The pictures I have are the pictures all of you will have to deal with. Once everything was done, I moved it to a quieter area where people and their pets wouldn't bother it.

acovert
07-12-2014, 10:43 PM
And here are the rest of the pictures, since all of them were too big for one post ^_^

guidofatherof5
07-13-2014, 07:03 AM
Nice to see you back on Ashley.
Beautiful big female you have there. At first glance I would say T. sirtalis, not sure of the subspecies.

Stefan-A
07-13-2014, 07:11 AM
T. elegans seems more likely. Not sure about the subspecies in that area.

I remember someone posting T. atratus that were a bit similar.

guidofatherof5
07-13-2014, 07:32 AM
Looks like T.atratus ranges in the lower southwest corner of OR.

indigoman
07-13-2014, 07:36 AM
Perhaps a T.a. hydrophilus, if in southwestern Oregon.

guidofatherof5
07-13-2014, 08:14 AM
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//744/medium/Tatratus.jpg

acovert
07-13-2014, 12:34 PM
I'm in northwestern oregon. It was about 30 to 45 minutes south of portland, along (I believe) the Clackamas river.

Stefan-A
07-13-2014, 03:36 PM
Leaning towards a dark form T. elegans vagrans.

guidofatherof5
07-13-2014, 03:45 PM
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//744/medium/ev.jpg
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//744/medium/ev1.jpg

indigoman
07-13-2014, 03:59 PM
Ditto

chris-uk
07-13-2014, 04:06 PM
My first instinct was T. elegans.

Interesting account of it actively swimming, considering garters are semi-aquatic surprisingly few people actually report seeing them swimming in the wild.

acovert
07-13-2014, 09:41 PM
I've actually seen quite a few swimming in my years. I remember being at a smaller river connected to the clackamas river where I found one that was actively swimming before it caught a frog or something and rwtreating. And I've found a few in central oregon swimming as well. I was surprised more by the fact that it had come out in the water right on a river beach with around 20 or more people and quite a few loud dogs. Normally I've got an eye open for snakes, but I didn't yesterday because I figured they'd avoid the area. I was lucky my boyfriend saw it.