PDA

View Full Version : I feel bad for Chex

slipknot711
07-10-2014, 05:08 AM
so you all may be familiar with chex and penny... both were gravid (penny still is) well somehow tuesday night wednesday morning Chex got out, i still have no clue how. Well I found that my kitten had found her. I picked chex up and inspected her, my cat bit off the end of her tail (healing nice already) no other wounds so I put her back. I went back to bed for an hour or so called out of work and checked on her and she seemed rather thin so i went looking around the cage. I found 3 dead babies about 4 or 5 slugs and this tiny mutant "baby?" if it can even be called that. I am assuming my cat screwed her up enough where she decided to let the babies go? I feel so bad. She ate last night which is good. 10782 this was Chex yesterday hiding (where she had most of the babies and jellies)

BLUESIRTALIS
07-10-2014, 07:01 AM
Try not to beat yourself up accidents do happen! I'm glad you found her when you did before it became fatal! Cats love to play ruff with anything that moves and won't stop until the movement stops. As far as the 4 or 5 slugs go they have nothing to do with this incident and the 3 stillborns may not either. I would be willing to bet she may still have some more. If I makes you feel better to know I have had healthy females drop stillborns and slugs. There is no way of knowing what's going on inside a snake so don't let this get you down just do what you can to help her and that's all you can do.

slipknot711
07-10-2014, 09:13 AM
Thanks. I feel bad my kitten got to her. And I still can't see how she got out. Yeah I was looking and thinking she might have something left in her. Time will tell. I thought she was gravid but it was definitely too early for her to have them. The scrubs did look kind of messed up. But she ate for me and he tail was just the tip and already looks like its healing well. Ty again

guidofatherof5
07-10-2014, 09:31 AM
Sorry to hear about this incident.
I can assure you Chex remembers how she got out so it is imperative you find the escape route.

slipknot711
07-10-2014, 11:07 AM
thnx steve I will continue looking. They are in an exo terra, i can only think that she found a way out thru the screen top (if she pushed hard enough) ill be sure to address this and move there climbing branches away

guidofatherof5
07-10-2014, 11:29 AM
A hot glue gun can quickly seal holes in screen and once cool is safe for the snakes.

slipknot711
07-10-2014, 11:49 AM
great idea thanks! then it will be waiting time on the two big girls! here was everyone on tuesday our hottest day so far. 1079810799

d_virginiana
07-10-2014, 02:36 PM
At least you got her back safely, which is probably more than most people can say from a snake/cat encounter :)

Never had a male that was strong enough to push open a screen top, but I did have one female that would wedge herself between the top and that rim right beneath it (exo-terra) and crawl along. If it wasn't weighted down/clamped she'd definitely have been able to get out that way.

guidofatherof5
07-10-2014, 02:51 PM
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//821/medium/new_pool_needed.jpg

mikem
07-10-2014, 08:46 PM
Steve, you hit that one right on the nose, haha :D

slipknot711
07-11-2014, 05:02 AM
haha they have pools/toilets and sexy jacuzzis! what more do the spoiled children want! i stole the picture haha i love it. also, i think i found a "weak" spot in my screen top and it has been addressed i hope. thanx guys

guidofatherof5
07-11-2014, 05:41 AM
Good to hear the escape route has been found and addressed.
Now you can get those kids a larger, deeper pool/toilet. Poor little snakes.:D

slipknot711
07-11-2014, 09:13 AM
thats a pretty decent sized bowl actually!!!! the two big bit..es are in it thats why it looks so small!!!!!the "new" Big girls head is the size of my thumb. i never had a garter so big before! but i guess i could just get a tuperware container for them ;)

guidofatherof5
07-11-2014, 10:19 AM
thats a pretty decent sized bowl actually!!!! the two big bit..es are in it thats why it looks so small!!!!!the "new" Big girls head is the size of my thumb. i never had a garter so big before! but i guess i could just get a tuperware container for them ;)

So, it's their fault? that's how you see this?.
Shame on you Ashley.:D