PDA

View Full Version : More from Wisconsin

David
07-19-2007, 10:36 AM
The following snakes are protected from collection, killing and possession in Wisconsin: ENDANGERED Eastern Massasauga, Northern Ribbon, Queen, and Western Ribbon. THREATENED Butler's Garter. PROTECTED Black Rat, Bullsnake, Timber, Blue Racer. So many herpers I've met in the field are so ignorant to the plight of some of our reptiles. I always attempt to educate them and most of the time I am able to make them understand. A small percentage of the above mentioned snakes can be found in very high numbers in certain areas of Wisconsin, but it is so spotty. Some of them were prevalent until a couple decades ago. Anyway I know these animals can be common in other states, but when we are out field herpin in other states we should make it a point to find out what is off limits before we go. I know that some people will always regard snakes as vermin, but I think all the people on this website all know the value of snakes in the ecosystem and if not, study, ask questions, we won't bite......well not always. I was Blessed in knowing a vast number of Zoo employees here in Milw. and elsewhere and also alot of private herpers who went around the world into the world of the snakes they kept, they observed, studied, collected when needed, and last but not least shared their Knowledge, and alot of you have read their books and even know them. Sincerely David:)

Josh
07-19-2007, 10:39 AM
Thanks for sharing that research it helpful.
Hope to see more

Sid
07-19-2007, 01:28 PM
Yes, thank you for the information. Sharing like this is the reason the is such a great forum.

Sid