PDA

View Full Version : How exactly do you care for nightcrawlers?

Jorjor
03-24-2014, 09:13 AM
Is there any particular way you guys do it? I know they sell them in cups at most bait stores( and walmart so I've been told), do you just keep them in those cups or do you need to transfer them to a seperate tub? Do you throw any scraps in there or do they just live on the soil they come with, and finally, to refrigerate or not to refrigerate?

Thanks in advance

guidofatherof5
03-24-2014, 09:57 AM
I purchase in bulk(500) and provide food and a cooler in the fridge. I buy my worm bedding in bulk also.

Jorjor
03-24-2014, 10:04 AM
can you keep them at room temp or do they just last a lot longer in the fridge?

guidofatherof5
03-24-2014, 03:03 PM
can you keep them at room temp or do they just last a lot longer in the fridge?

Yes and yes.:D

Rad snakes
03-25-2014, 04:26 PM
Buy them at Walmart or from bulk and keep them in the fridge����. Make sure not to buy red wigglers! These worms can make your garter very sick. And yes they last a lot longer in the fridge;)

EasternBlackNeckedGarter
03-25-2014, 06:31 PM
I occasionally feed nightcrawlers to my newts. Don't keep them inside the styrofoam packages- they could start rotting in those if you keep them too long. I use small plastic containers (with lids, of course) and punch air holes in the sides to make them stackable. I sprinkle a little yeast or some bread crumbs in there every now and them and they do fine. If you spot mold, take it out immediately.

Jeff B
03-25-2014, 08:04 PM
Is there any particular way you guys do it? I know they sell them in cups at most bait stores( and walmart so I've been told), do you just keep them in those cups or do you need to transfer them to a seperate tub? Do you throw any scraps in there or do they just live on the soil they come with, and finally, to refrigerate or not to refrigerate?

Thanks in advance

I will tell you how I take care of nightcrawlers. I buy them at Walmart every single week and then I put them in my garter snakes mouths, and they take good care of them from there.

tress29
04-19-2014, 09:45 PM
I wondered if the worms would do better in some other substrate than the dirt clumps they come in at Walmart. I guess the trick is to have more snakes and not worry about it!

jwolfe152
04-20-2014, 01:20 AM
I wondered if the worms would do better in some other substrate than the dirt clumps they come in at Walmart. I guess the trick is to have more snakes and not worry about it!

I think that's spot on more snakes is always a good thing. But i usually separate the worms from the dirty and break up the dirt, not sure if it makes a difference but it just seems better than the big clumps. And if you do not refrigerate them make sure they do not get warm or they will die quickly and stink like all get out

guidofatherof5
04-20-2014, 07:06 AM
I think that's spot on more snakes is always a good thing. But i usually separate the worms from the dirty and break up the dirt, not sure if it makes a difference but it just seems better than the big clumps. And if you do not refrigerate them make sure they do not get warm or they will die quickly and stink like all get out

That's putting it lightly.

ConcinusMan
04-25-2014, 03:14 PM
Leave them in the container they're in. It needs to be kept just barely moist, not wet and store them at 50 degrees. That is how to keep them alive the longest. You can put them at regular fridge temps (42 F or so) and it won't kill them but they will go dormant and not eat or reproduce. They'll stay alive 2-4 months like that as long as they are not too wet. check often for dead ones. If one dies and rots in there, they all die. DO NOT FEED THEM FOOD SCRAPS they are earthworms. They eat dirt not scraps. They eat what composting worms, fungi and bacteria leave behind AFTER breaking scraps down. Their need for food is ziltch if kept at 42 anyway. Room temperature is too warm. They will consume all the food in a day or two and start dying at room temp. 50-55 F is ideal. My snakes always eat them up quick enough but I have had them survive in my fridge at 42 for several months. You just can't let them dry out and if u add too much moisture or scraps that rot or mold, that will kill them too.

Muslim1
06-22-2014, 08:10 AM
Leave them in the container they're in. It needs to be kept just barely moist, not wet and store them at 50 degrees. That is how to keep them alive the longest. You can put them at regular fridge temps (42 F or so) and it won't kill them but they will go dormant and not eat or reproduce. They'll stay alive 2-4 months like that as long as they are not too wet. check often for dead ones. If one dies and rots in there, they all die. DO NOT FEED THEM FOOD SCRAPS they are earthworms. They eat dirt not scraps. They eat what composting worms, fungi and bacteria leave behind AFTER breaking scraps down. Their need for food is ziltch if kept at 42 anyway. Room temperature is too warm. They will consume all the food in a day or two and start dying at room temp. 50-55 F is ideal. My snakes always eat them up quick enough but I have had them survive in my fridge at 42 for several months. You just can't let them dry out and if u add too much moisture or scraps that rot or mold, that will kill them too.

AMEEN! Also. If a crawler dies it help to leave it in with them worms become worm food.

guidofatherof5
06-22-2014, 08:23 AM
Dead or sick worms should be removed immediately. They produce a gas/substance that will kill all the worms. Night crawlers are decayed plant matter eaters. The dead worm will return to the soil and then to plants but the night crawlers won't eat the dead worm.
In this case,
♫"One bad worm will spoil the whole bunch, girl"♫
Sorry, I just had to.:D

Muslim1
06-22-2014, 08:46 AM
Whoops! I always left them in the container. I havent had anything bad happen.....yet? I use a mixture of dirt/compost for mine. would that make a difference?

"you live, you learn"

Steven

guidofatherof5
06-22-2014, 09:15 AM
There is no way to make them non-toxic other then to remove them.

Muslim1
06-22-2014, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the info.

Lcrest
06-28-2014, 03:30 PM
I occasionally feed nightcrawlers to my newts. Don't keep them inside the styrofoam packages- they could start rotting in those if you keep them too long. I use small plastic containers (with lids, of course) and punch air holes in the sides to make them stackable. I sprinkle a little yeast or some bread crumbs in there every now and them and they do fine. If you spot mold, take it out immediately.

This seems like a great method. Thank you.