PDA

View Full Version : RSPCA in UK

Lulu Bennett
07-16-2007, 04:58 AM
I'm sorry, i am a traitor! I have been browsing other reptile forums. During this time i have come across an article about the RSPCA. that they have just been showing up at animal owners homes just to look at the state of the enclosures. Apparently a few people have had their animals removed and not returned by the RSPCA, unjustly and illegally. This is the post as i saw it.

"This is a warning to all animal keepers, wether it be herps or mammals,

The RSPCA are going around and Knocking on doors of peoplewho own animals, They are saying that they are advising people on the changes of the Animal Welfare Bill, in particular about sizes of cages/tanks,

I have put this up as i have been speaking to friends of mine who had a visit from the RSPCA today, who has told them that all of there cages for their gerbils and rats are inadequate, The inspector told them the required size of a cage should be 60x36x24 for upto 6 rats and have to have toys/wood to chew in them, and the lab/breeding cages are inadequate. before leaving the inspector told them that he will be back in 30 days to see if they have started to change the cages and if no changes have been made, they would go to jail,

My friends are an old couple and have over 20 years experience keeping/breeding rodent and herp, They are both concerned about this and are panicky as they are on a low income,

I have spoken to Wohic and Nerys about this and have reassured them that they have nothing to worry about as Nerys has given me the following link which is very useful and imformative,

The Shg for Farmers, Pet Owners and Others Experiencing Difficulties with the RSPCA (http://the-shg.org/)"

i don't know how honest this statement is so if you have anything to add to this then please help yourself. we all know haw rediculess this is so please just constructive replies and not just moaning. Thanks Lulu xxx

drache
07-16-2007, 06:24 AM
that seems a bit severe

Lulu Bennett
07-16-2007, 07:03 AM
thats what i thought. i thought i would make sure everyone knew. im pooing myself knowing my luck they will show up at my door lol

Stefan-A
07-16-2007, 07:19 AM
thats what i thought. i thought i would make sure everyone knew. im pooing myself knowing my luck they will show up at my door lol
Isn't it enough to tell them that none shall pass, when they come a knockin'? :)

drache
07-16-2007, 07:33 AM
it does seem they would have to have a search warrant to come into your house

Lulu Bennett
07-16-2007, 07:43 AM
they can not obtain a warrent! the police have to bring the warrent but the big boss of the RSPCA has admitted that they have been missleading ppl to believe that they have the right to enter the property without a police officer or a warrent present. sly buggers!!

Lulu Bennett
07-16-2007, 01:46 PM
James, what do you make of this?

adamanteus
07-16-2007, 01:49 PM
Awkward one for me. I don't want to comment one way or the other on the RSPCA, although I do have "opinions". I'll say this much; They have no powers of entry into your property.

Lee
07-16-2007, 02:03 PM
Answer the door with a gun, tell them to get off your property. Problem solved. At least here in the USA the RSPCA does not have the power to just randomly come inspect stuff like this.

Stefan-A
07-16-2007, 02:12 PM
Answer the door with a gun, tell them to get off your property.
In this country that would probably count as an illegal threat.

drache
07-16-2007, 02:21 PM
In this country that would probably count as an illegal threat.
oh, it would here too

Lee
07-16-2007, 05:21 PM
Heh, feel bad for the strict laws over there =(

CrazyHedgehog
07-16-2007, 05:36 PM
Its problematic as the RSPCA are supposed to be there for animal welfare, but I thought that rats and mice actually come under a different law? (welfare of laboratory animals or something similar), especially when bred for feeding purposes in bulk?

i did research it and also question the RSPCA when I started my mouse farm...(small shed with 24 cages... each cage (well a transformed plastic tub) with between 2 and 5 mice)
At first the RSPCA were not very helpful, but once I pointed out that I had looked into the law, and was going to go ahead anyway, but would prefer to do it under their guidelines....then they were more helpful.

yes they are purely for reptile food...but yes I have bought them wheels and toys, they are fed and water is changed daily, cleaned thoroughly every weekend and as needed in the week, never left smelly....they even get dog buscuits as treats!!!....(I know i know... but if they are to be eaten, at least let them have a little fun first!!)

My main worry would be are these genuine RSPCA ? (not just a wierdo gaining entry? ) if your friends are using lab cages (which are widely available - how many rats per cage? maybe they just have a problem with over crowding...Or maybe just a new guy in the job...
Definately check out the lab animals law..

Lulu Bennett
07-16-2007, 06:09 PM
Its problematic as the RSPCA are supposed to be there for animal welfare, but I thought that rats and mice actually come under a different law? (welfare of laboratory animals or something similar), especially when bred for feeding purposes in bulk?

i did research it and also question the RSPCA when I started my mouse farm...(small shed with 24 cages... each cage (well a transformed plastic tub) with between 2 and 5 mice)
At first the RSPCA were not very helpful, but once I pointed out that I had looked into the law, and was going to go ahead anyway, but would prefer to do it under their guidelines....then they were more helpful.

yes they are purely for reptile food...but yes I have bought them wheels and toys, they are fed and water is changed daily, cleaned thoroughly every weekend and as needed in the week, never left smelly....they even get dog buscuits as treats!!!....(I know i know... but if they are to be eaten, at least let them have a little fun first!!)

My main worry would be are these genuine RSPCA ? (not just a wierdo gaining entry? ) if your friends are using lab cages (which are widely available - how many rats per cage? maybe they just have a problem with over crowding...Or maybe just a new guy in the job...
Definately check out the lab animals law..

that wasn't my friend i got the link off another forum and it was his mate lol

GarterGirl
07-18-2007, 04:53 AM
that seems a bit severe

Yea
That's terrible
Maybe lulu can help them with a little money
or...
nevermind
That's not a good idea

GarterGirl
07-18-2007, 04:55 AM
oh, it would here too

Yep!
It would
definitely

Nerys
07-26-2007, 07:19 AM
Hello... only me....

just a quickie...

I took on the gerbils from the old guys... and tbh.. i am saddened beyond measure by the appalling state they are in.

The rspca should have taken the lot then and there. as keepers they flipping sicken me those people do.

gerbils.. up to 8 a box.. in selotapted together cardboard and plastic boxes.. mummified corpses sunken in the bedding, the bedding was just food and faeces.. there were babies trying to suckle from dead mothers for christ sake.. 14 gerbils in one tank, who were paired before, just taken out and dumped together in one small tank.. of course half were dead by the time i got to them... i still have a 3ft tank with 70, and another 14 carboard boxes taped into 8inchX6inch coffins to take.. i don't think i can go to their house. i do not trust what i would do. the smell in my van was incredible.. it took 3 hours before i could breath properly again, those poor poor animals being subjected to that every hour of every day of their sorry lives...

old is no excuse.. they make me sick sick sick that they keep thier animals like that and think its acceptable. it is NOT.

the arguement, of better off dead than in a cage.. in this case I AGREE with the antis..

f-'ing barbaric.. made rory and i sick to our stomach.. its NOT how it needs to be... rotton bar stewards..

Nerys

Stefan-A
07-26-2007, 08:29 AM
Nerys, welcome aboard.

Sounds like a well justified intervention. Can you tell us a bit more about the case?

Lulu Bennett
07-26-2007, 09:06 AM
hi Nerys
welcome to the site and thanks for that.
i can't see how people can do that to animals it discusting!!!!!

CrazyHedgehog
07-26-2007, 05:16 PM
Oh that is horrible, and not quite how it was first portraid in the post that LuLu found.. poor things..well done Nerys!