PDA

View Full Version : How much is too much?

DEKAN
07-14-2007, 09:30 PM
Maybe it may sound dumb but, how much is too much? My Garter has been eating almost daily, today I count 3 fishes...yesterday 2, and so on, I could say that at least one per day for at least one week :confused: and she would eat more if she could, but sometimes the fish is quicker than the snake.

And...What if I decide to cut the fish for a little while? or even offer something else...like other kinds of meat (chicken, pig...etc) ? Could the future "babies" be affected?

Thanx in advance :o

zooplan
07-14-2007, 11:44 PM
Living fish in a tank are looking much bigger than dead once on the table!
I dont think that youŽre feeding her too much.
If sheŽs gravid, she needs all the food she can get for herself and the babies even to stay fit after giving birth.
I doŽnt know details about the diet of T. melanogaster but complete prey is always better than a pice of meat.
She will try to catch the fishes in your bowl as hard as sheŽs hungry.

adamanteus
07-15-2007, 01:51 AM
I agree with Udo, if she is indeed gravid let her eat all she wants, and whole fish are better than lean pieces. Thamnophis melanogaster is much more aquatic than most Garter species (it fills the Mexican niche normally occupied by Nerodia in the US) and as such the diet is predominantly fish. You could still try offering her scented pinkies though, it has to be worth a try.

DEKAN
07-15-2007, 01:22 PM
Oh...ok.

The fish stay then, The earthworms, are a little bit difficult, I just find a couple in my garden, and I couldn't find any in the pet store, the pinkies well...I hope my stomach can handle that lol

Thanx for the replys :D

You guys rock http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/839/headbanghl2.gif

adamanteus
07-15-2007, 01:27 PM
You're very welcome, Robert:) . It's really interesting to have such an unusual species featuring in our forum. Please keep us updated, and post many photos! Photos, photos, photos!!:D

Josh
07-15-2007, 03:59 PM
For a gravid snake it doesnt seem to much. I also want to see photos.

GarterGirl
07-20-2007, 03:49 AM
You guys rock http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/839/headbanghl2.gif

I know this doesn't
have to do with
the topic of the
thread, but I just
wanted to ask
how you got that
smilie.
It rocks!:cool: