PDA

View Full Version : Who has wild caught garters?

snakemommy
11-11-2013, 05:55 PM
I'm (FINALLY! always wanted snakes and was surprised with a garter recently) a momma of what I believe is an Eastern Garter who was found by my boyfriend and son. Who else has wild caught babies? :D

Gretchie <3

Eddie
11-11-2013, 08:25 PM
I'd like to see a better pic of that snake.

guidofatherof5
11-11-2013, 08:39 PM
I'd like to see a better pic of that snake.

I would too. Looks very thin in that photo.

snakemommy
11-11-2013, 08:47 PM
my camera is really awful, she (he?) isn't as coppery orange as it looks, more of a lighter color. i am trying to let her settle in by not handling her for another day or so but will try to get a new pic up soon. i thought she was thin as well, but my boyfriend insists she's a garter?

snakemommy
11-11-2013, 08:58 PM
she has 3 light yellowy stripes on a dark body, two rows of alternating spots on her sides, no spots on her head, a light yellowy green underbelly, white labial scales with a black outline. she is about 11" long.

i put a platy in her water dish but she hasn't touched it. going for earthworms tomorrow. we got her day before yesterday.

wolfpacksved
11-12-2013, 07:55 AM
the body and stripes look Butler's garter-ish, but pic is blurry and Butler's range doesn't quite reach NE Ohio

Stefan-A
11-12-2013, 08:09 AM
the body and stripes look Butler's garter-ish, but pic is blurry and Butler's range doesn't quite reach NE Ohio
My first thought as well, but I didn't bother looking up the range.

snakemommy
11-12-2013, 10:43 AM
i thought butler, too, maybe but that they don't quite reach us? she was found within a mile from a university. escapee?
tried to get some better pics- if she isn't an eastern, i want to be sure i am caring for her properly by identifying her. i played with the settings on my camera, hopefully it helped.

second to last is with a flash

snakemommy
11-12-2013, 10:44 AM
she's a fricken cutie for sure! <3 <3 <3

(i posted a spin off post to try to get her identified)

wolfpacksved
11-12-2013, 12:14 PM
eastern. sirtalis

Mommy2many
11-12-2013, 05:01 PM
I have a wild caught yearling I believe. Her name is Autumn. She had one stillborn. I am going to pair her with my squiggle, who in a previous post I stated likes to strike at me and be all big and bad. I have had him for 4 years and maybe we might get some new squiggles from this match.

drumcrush
11-14-2013, 06:18 PM
I have an old wild caught eastern, I will be releasing him in spring:) I found him in my backyard a couple months ago and I thought it will be cool to keep one over the winter, just for the experience:) he's actually my avatar pic haha

ConcinusMan
11-14-2013, 07:34 PM
Pics still aren't turning out but that's probably because photos require light on the subject.:rolleyes: The flash only ranges so far and doesn't work very well through glass. I still can't see the dang snake well at all.

Although people have said it's an eastern garter, it doesn't really matter what kind of garter it is. The first photo was enough to tell it's a garter and care is pretty much the same for all types of garters.

What the heck is it in? I can't tell.

Wild ones can make fine pets just as well as captive born as long as they eat and adapt well and are healthy. The one thing I can't stress enough is that if they are carrying a parasite load (most WC snakes do) they need to be cleared of parasites in order to do well in the long run.

Garter Snake Forum - Garter Caresheet (http://www.thamnophis.com/index.php?page=caresheet)

snakemommy
11-15-2013, 04:18 PM
A rubber made bin with a secure lid full of 1/8 inch holes, until I pick up her new tank tomorrow.

Foxrun402
11-16-2013, 11:12 AM
Well.... Both of mine are/were wild caught babies... They can adapt very well if you spend time with them and make sure that your little one is eating steadily... Chop up nightcrawlers into like 1/4 inch pieces should be fine... dice pinky mice unless you honestly feel the snake is large enough to eat a small pinky whole.

Should do fine =)