PDA

View Full Version : Problems

JoeStef
07-13-2007, 01:22 PM
I have a 2ft long Florida Blue that I caught a month ago and on Sun I cleaned her cage in the morning and tried to feed her that night and she would not eat. So I tried again on Mon and she still would not eat. Her regular eating days are Sun and Wed so on Wed I tried again and still nothing. She is not moving around the cage as much as she used to as well. Today when I got home I went to take her out and her eyes are all cloudy. Any ideas on why she is not eating and why her eyes are cloudy?

Thanks
Joe

Stefan-A
07-13-2007, 01:23 PM
About to shed.

adamanteus
07-13-2007, 01:24 PM
Hi Joseph, welcome to the forum. Nothing to worry about. Your snake is preparing to slough (shed it's skin) and possibly won't feed until this process is complete. Some do, some don't.:)

JoeStef
07-13-2007, 01:28 PM
As you can tell this is my first snake and I appreciate everyones help.

Thank you

ssssnakeluvr
07-13-2007, 01:47 PM
yea, it is going to shed, normal process for all snakes....the eyes will clear up about 2 days before the shed. some snakes might eat at this time and some don't. not a worry, adult garters can got for several months without food and be fine.

GarterGirl
07-13-2007, 03:42 PM
Don't worry!
it's fine
Your snake is definitely going to shed!
Its normal

Odie
07-14-2007, 01:58 AM
Hi, from Oregon, Joseph :)

JoeStef
07-14-2007, 03:47 PM
How long does it take for them to shed because she still is not coming out from under her rock? How often do they shed?

adamanteus
07-14-2007, 03:50 PM
The process can take a good few days, no hard and fast rule on that. The frequency of sloughing depends on their growth rate...young ones slough more often than adults.

ScimitarX
07-14-2007, 03:52 PM
Hi Joseph,

My Garters can sometimes be hiding away for a good couple of weeks while they prepare for shedding. Its completely normal as snakes cant see properly when their eyes are cloudy they hide so the feel safe. As for how often they shed, depends on a lot of things, i find that young snakes shed approx. every month, sometimes more whilst they are growing and adult snakes shed every few months since their growth rate slows down.

JoeStef
07-19-2007, 04:15 AM
She finally shedded on Sun, but she still does not want to come out from under her rock. I put some food in there for her and she did not come out and get like usual, I had to dangle it in front of her for her to take it. Any reason why she does not want to come out?

drache
07-19-2007, 06:56 AM
did you make sure her shed was complete?
Sometimes the eye caps don't come off and then your snake may still have somewhat impaired vision
there may be other reasons . . .