PDA

View Full Version : question (crossing species)

butcha
09-06-2013, 02:33 PM
im new to snakes,,,but have a probably stupid question,,,can you breed,,,lets say an eastern to a plains???

Stefan-A
09-06-2013, 03:13 PM
Yes, but don't do it.

It's not at all a stupid question, but one that should be asked by everyone who considers keeping different species in the same enclosure.

butcha
09-06-2013, 04:12 PM
im curious as to why you say don't do it,,,are the offspring infertile

guidofatherof5
09-06-2013, 04:17 PM
The offspring are ugly and are just a watered down version of the parents. It muddies up the gene pool and the newly created mutts have no value in the hobby.
Please don't consider doing it.

butcha
09-06-2013, 04:20 PM
thanks,,,,i think id rather keep my maritimes pure

guidofatherof5
09-06-2013, 04:44 PM
Wise choice. Good choice.
T. s. pallidulus (Maritime garter snake) are awesome. You are lucky to be working with them. A bit over-looked in the hobby.
It's the only garter on my wish list........... at this time, that is.:D

redone
10-27-2013, 05:30 PM
is it possible to have female and male in the same tank without them breeding?

chris-uk
10-29-2013, 04:45 AM
is it possible to have female and male in the same tank without them breeding?

No. If you don't want them to breed you need to keep them in different tanks. Saying that, not all species are compatible with each other but I've never seen a list that states which species cannot possibly hybridise.

If you're question is regarding a male and female of the same species - definitely not possible to have them in the same tank without them doing what is one of their primary purposes in life.

guidofatherof5
10-29-2013, 05:38 AM
No. If you don't want them to breed you need to keep them in different tanks. Saying that, not all species are compatible with each other but I've never seen a list that states which species cannot possibly hybridise.

If you're question is regarding a male and female of the same species - definitely not possible to have them in the same tank without them doing what is one of their primary purposes in life.

Well said Chris.