PDA

View Full Version : this sounds really silly but...

Lulu Bennett
07-11-2007, 05:57 AM
how do snakes mate and what should i be looking for? what does it look like? not to sound like a wierdo but i was asked the other day and i didnt have a clue lol D'oh

Stefan-A
07-11-2007, 06:39 AM
Like this, initially. :D

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/matey1.jpg

After that, the female drags the male around by his wee-wee for a few minutes until he lets go. I was lucky enough to witness the whole procedure. If you see it happening, you can't possibly mistake it for anything else. They are very much attached to eachother through the whole mating process.

Did you mean the whole ritual, or the act itself?

Lulu Bennett
07-11-2007, 06:44 AM
After that, the female drags the male around by his wee-wee for a few minutes until he lets go.

its nice to hear the female takes control:p
the ritual aswell. its just i saw my female lay curled up and my male going skits on the top of her but i couldn't see their tails touching. i wasn't sure if he was just a bit confused lol a bit like a few blokes really lol:rolleyes:

Stefan-A
07-11-2007, 06:49 AM
Sounds like courting behavior, but it's definitely not mating. Yet. :) The male crawls along the female's body and tries to wrap its tail around the female's and align their cloakas.

Here's a video of what that looks like. Sort of. Courting, not mating, the female wasn't in the mood.

YouTube - Garter snakes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEOWFcLey4k)

Lulu Bennett
07-11-2007, 06:59 AM
thanks for that. i have been looking on google but couldn't seem to find anything lol atleast i know what i am looking for lol thanks again :p

adamanteus
07-11-2007, 12:52 PM
You might see the male closely investigating the female and moving around the tank with her. He may also appear to be pressing his chin against her back. There would also be much twitching!

Lulu Bennett
07-11-2007, 03:44 PM
You might see the male closely inverstigating the female and moving around the tank with her. He may also appear to be pressing his chin against her back. There would also be much twitching!

he is constantly following kia round like a lost sheep and slithering all over her lol since the day i put them both in the same tank. to be honest i think he might have already tried but don't think he was successful. she doesn't seem to be fattening up! i'll find out in no more than 90 days. but they are only a few month old, march/april time.:(

adamanteus
07-11-2007, 03:48 PM
They're maybe too young then, Louise. You may find his effofts intensify after she sloughs.

garterking
07-12-2007, 03:26 PM
They're maybe too young then, Louise. You may find his effofts intensify after she sloughs.

Hey Lulu,
If there only a few months old then they would be too young. She would need to be about a year and a half or more, and the male about a year or better for it to be successful. Give them time. It's acually entertaining watching my male chase the female when he's done brumating. He rubs his head over her body and there's no place for the poor girl to hide that he won't follow.
When she lets him, their tails will be together, opening to opening and that's when it all happens.

Mike

GarterGirl
07-12-2007, 04:31 PM
Don't feel bad, Lulu!
I've never seen it either!

Lulu Bennett
07-12-2007, 06:22 PM
lol thanks guys. i don't know if i am happy of sad like lol. i didn't think they had been successful i guess it is a good thing. thanks stefan, james and mike for all the information. mikhaila heres a promise if you still haven't seen it by the time mine 'do it' and i manage to record it i will show it you before everyone else gets to see it :p