PDA

View Full Version : When Tape Is Acceptable

guidofatherof5
07-22-2013, 08:55 PM
I am a strong advocate against tape of any kind being used where a snake may come in contact with it. In or used on the outside of an enclosure, it is a dangerous
undertaking. It's much better to never use it then to wonder how you're going to get a snake out of it when you have no idea how it got into it.
Now, on to the reason for this post.
*First and foremost you must be sure there is a retained cap*
I think retained eye caps are just part of keeping snakes. It happens from time to time and we need a safe and effective way to remove these caps. This task is much easier done when there is a small piece of skin attached to the eye cap. Then there are those time there isn't any skin attached. When there is no edge to catch, it can be very difficult to remove them. This is when I think clear adhesive tape might come in handy. I'm talking about the kind of tape used to wrap presents (Scotch Tape- 3M brand) I think this is best as the adhesive isn't as strong as lets say, packing tape.
I take a small piece and make a circle out of it so it will fit over my index finger tip, adhesive side out;):D I then take the snake and lightly brush over the eye cap. In almost every attempt I've ever tried, it was successful on the first pass. I think the risks is minimal but caution must be used as working with the eye is always dangerous. If you don't feel comfortable with this procedure then don't do it. In most situation the cap will come off with the next shed or the snake will remove it on its own. There are also many documented case where this doesn't happen and the caps continue to build up. Eye infection can also set in if the retained cap/s aren't removed.
I did this procedure on 2 snakes today. One cap was 3 days old and the other was possibly weeks old. In both situations the stress on the snakes was kept to a minimum as the procedure took only a few seconds.
I must give credit where credit is due and that is to forum member Thamneil for opening my eyes to this procedure. I must admit the first few times I did this I was scared but soon found it safe and effective in most situation. I don't force this procedure, if the cap doesn't come off after a few passes I stop. I think it is better to leave the cap on then to risk damaging the eye with forceful, repeated attempt.

I plan on making a video the next time this happens.

jwolfe152
07-22-2013, 09:02 PM
wow that seems like a good idea better than trying to use tweezers or anything else with a point where the snake could jerk and get poked. so you just kinda wipe over the eye lightly if you dont have any skin sticking out, or is it more of a daubing motion?

guidofatherof5
07-22-2013, 09:35 PM
wow that seems like a good idea better than trying to use tweezers or anything else with a point where the snake could jerk and get poked. so you just kinda wipe over the eye lightly if you dont have any skin sticking out, or is it more of a daubing motion?

I just brush/pull it across the eye cap.