PDA

View Full Version : Garter feeding styles, by species

KITKAT
07-08-2007, 09:32 PM
When your garter is fishing in its bowl for live fish, what style of hunting does he use?

YouTube - Garter snake hunting style part 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaEpLoK9G68)

Here is a T elegans vagrans, showing the head thrashing side to side, mouth open. I assume the fish are detected by sensory contact.

Elliot
07-08-2007, 09:47 PM
My ribbons both hover over the fish, flickering their tounges, then when they seem satisfied they strike at the fish and usually catch them first try, no thrashing underwater though.

KITKAT
07-08-2007, 09:48 PM
Here is my sirtalis girl, making sure she got all her fish. Same basic style of hunting as my wanderings...

YouTube - Garter snake hunting style part 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIcwmFofOfc)

And last, but not least... here is my Red Sided girl. She has a different style of hunting! She hovers above the dish, takes a good look, then LUNGES! She rarely misses...

YouTube - Garter snake hunting style part 3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMF8SfM0qhk)

KITKAT
07-08-2007, 10:02 PM
Just for fun... here is how my pickeringii prefer to feed!;)

YouTube - Garter snake hunting style part 4 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5ltdT1ZoBM)

Stefan-A
07-08-2007, 10:25 PM
Only got my garters to display any kind of fishing behavior once, when the f/t fish fell in the water bowl. It too was thrashing side to side with its mouth open.

Lee
07-08-2007, 10:51 PM
My wanderings thrash back and forth with mouth open, unless the feeders are large and they can strike them from under water one time...

BTW, what kind of fish are you using in those vids? I need something better than rosies/goldfish.

KITKAT
07-08-2007, 11:45 PM
My wanderings thrash back and forth with mouth open, unless the feeders are large and they can strike them from under water one time...

BTW, what kind of fish are you using in those vids? I need something better than rosies/goldfish.

I have an excellent local bait store, as I live near a large reservoir. I get Crappie minnows that are intended for fishing with as bait. I bring them home, feed half a dozen per snake, and freeze the rest for the next two week's feedings.

I find that the "fishy smell" of the minnows will drive most garters wild with desire!:cool:

flakgunner
07-09-2007, 05:10 AM
hey,
I get my fish ,from the bait shop,I go with med. roaches,my Indo Gartersnake will only eat fish and the Western Plains takes these along with nightcrawlers,they both go into the water,mouth wide open and thrash back and forth,until one touches their mouth,then chomp!

Joe

adamanteus
07-09-2007, 01:18 PM
These days I only use frozen/thawed fish. But in the past I've seen the same snake use both methods of fishing.....hover and strike, and thrash about wildly. Bless!

drache
07-10-2007, 03:58 AM
I read in Strumpfbandnatters that T. atratus in the wild bait fish with their tongues
that's pretty cool
has anyone seen that in captivity?

GGarter
07-10-2007, 04:29 AM
I read in Strumpfbandnatters that T. atratus in the wild bait fish with their tongues

I'll be getting mine in september.:D
I'll let you know if I see mine do the same;)

Can't wait!!!

Greets Tore

DEKAN
07-10-2007, 05:24 PM
Mine (Thamnophis melanogaster canescens) likes to swim a little... sometimes she waits in the bottom looking the fish, and then lunges as you said. My tank it's a little bit big so, on 2 or 3 shots she gets one.

Regards

Lee
07-10-2007, 08:07 PM
Baiting with tounges wow, make sure to get a deep enough water dish and capture it on film, how cool would that be!

Dracaena828
07-10-2007, 11:54 PM
Both my garters are t.s.pickeringii and they each have their own style of eating. The male just gets excited when he sees fish and will plunge right in the bowl and swim around mouth open until he runs into something. The female is pretty cool, she sits poised above the water stock-still like a cat and dives only when a fish happens right below her. I've never seen a garter that hunts like that before. The garters I used to have when I was younger both used the open mouthed swim approach (common and a red-sided, not sure of species beyond that...). At any rate both are fun to watch :)
Angela

zooplan
07-11-2007, 02:30 AM
Once I got some quail fledlings and feed them to a big female red sided and a wandering garter snake.
The ´parietalis needs about half an hour to dispatch one but the ´vagrans wolf it down in less than ten minutes.

KITKAT
07-11-2007, 08:49 AM
that's pretty cool
has anyone seen that in captivity?

Does anyone breed atratus?

zooplan
07-11-2007, 12:16 PM
of course :D

but I do´nt offer living fish in a big bowl :o

There are two books with the same title in German which one do quote?

drache
07-11-2007, 01:33 PM
There are two books with the same title in German which one do quote?

When people here quote from Strumpfbandnattern, it's usually Hallmen/Chlebowy
most people here don't know the other
besides that one's called Die Strumpfbandnattern (I'm assuming you mean Mutschmann)

ssssnakeluvr
07-11-2007, 10:14 PM
Scott Felzer breed the one stripe morph of atratus.....

GarterGirl
07-12-2007, 05:14 PM
Gee!
I forgot!:eek:
I haven't gotten baby garters for a long time! (It seems)

Sorry KITKAT:o

GGarter
07-16-2007, 04:11 AM
Steven Bol breeds them aswell:)