PDA

View Full Version : Guess what I found this morning!

Didymus20X6
07-11-2013, 02:05 PM
This morning, I went into Little Dude's enclosure to check on her and her current housemates, Piggy and Stripeless.

I expected three snakes. I found seven.

Apparently, Little Dude has just given birth to about four little sneakies.

I've separated them out, and probably traumatized Piggy and Stripeless nearly to death in the process. They'll probably be having nightmares about giant pink monkey hands trying to grab them for the next four weeks. I had to take out all the fake plants just to make sure I got them all.

But the little ones are in a new enclosure, with the bottom lined with dirt, a small "thatch-roof cottage" to hide in, and a bowl of water with a brick next to it so they can drink and swim if they like. I also put an ash tray full of chopped-up nightcrawlers in there, just in case they're hungry.

One of the little boogers bit me. Even at that tiny size, they can sting pretty good if they want.

Pics later, if I can manage it. Right now, I have to go to work.

jwolfe152
07-11-2013, 02:38 PM
wow thats so cool when do we get to see some pics of the little ones?

Didymus20X6
07-11-2013, 02:44 PM
Probably as soon as I get home from work. This eveniing sometime.

jwolfe152
07-11-2013, 02:46 PM
cool i can't wait to see them. i love looking at the tiny ones

Didymus20X6
07-11-2013, 04:53 PM

guidofatherof5
07-11-2013, 04:54 PM
Great. Looking forward to the photos. Which species? I can't remember what you have.

Didymus20X6
07-11-2013, 05:02 PM
Sirtalis, Easterns. The mother is a very tame wild-caught.

guidofatherof5
07-11-2013, 05:05 PM
Looks like my post and your photos crossed in the mail. Beautiful little scrubs.

jwolfe152
07-11-2013, 06:21 PM
wow the littles ones look good

Didymus20X6
07-11-2013, 06:52 PM
The one shown pictured by himself - that one, I'm pretty sure, has eaten some worm pieces. He's got a nice bulge around the middle that makes him look a wee tad bigger than the others. Hopefully, the others will catch up.

I have no idea what I'm going to do with them yet. Probably try to find them a good home. Or keep them and raise them myself, as long as I can keep them hidden from my landlord.

BLUESIRTALIS
07-12-2013, 05:06 AM
Nice little scrubs!

Didymus20X6
07-13-2013, 08:51 PM
Well, it looks like four is it. Today, Little Dude passed a whole bunch of jellies. Haven't seen any more sneakies in the pen.

I'm not sure any of them have eaten, but they look bigger today than they did before.

Didymus20X6
07-14-2013, 03:54 PM

This is the one I know is eating. I can't be sure about the others, but this one is getting bigger.

Light of Dae
07-14-2013, 06:01 PM
Very cute!

Has no one mentioned that gravel (or dirt for that matter) Is a terrible thing to keep them on? ....?? Paper towel is a far better choice... something, anything but gravel...

Didymus20X6
07-14-2013, 08:32 PM
It's not gravel. It's a mixture of clay dirt and sterilized peat moss (I boil it to kill any unwanted pests). It may look like gravel, but those clumps actually break apart when wet or under any kind of pressure.

Didymus20X6
07-20-2013, 10:39 PM
Two of them are eating pretty good, and are getting bigger. The other two, I'm not so sure of. I haven't seen them with any bulges in their bellies, and they don't look to be getting much bigger at all.

I've tried putting the two suspected non-eaters in a container with a bunch of wiggling chopped-up worm pieces, but I don't think either of them ate. I've also tried chopped up fish pieces. I even caught a frog and put him in a cup of water, and poured that into the fish pieces, hoping maybe they'll smell frog and want to eat. Nothing to report yet.

I don't have access to small enough feeder fish around here. The bait shop doesn't carry minnows anymore, and even if they did, minnows are too big for these guys. Any ideas?

guidofatherof5
07-20-2013, 10:41 PM
Guppies.

Didymus20X6
07-20-2013, 10:42 PM
Have no idea where to get them around here. The closest thing we have to a pet store is Wal-Mart, and I don't think they sell anything small enough, much less anything I'd want to feed to a snake.

jwolfe152
07-20-2013, 11:15 PM
have you tried digging around in the yard for either smaller nightcrawlers or maybe dig around in the yard to find some small earthworms. the smaller worms you find when digging those are not the red wrigglers right? i mean i am sure there would be some but there is a few smaller worms in the ground right?

Didymus20X6
07-27-2013, 05:00 PM
Okay, here's a couple of updates to this thread:

1. I might have a taker for one of my sneakies. I was sharing the baby pictures with a friend, and she said she used to keep a snake. I took the baby enclosure over to where she worked, and she loved them. So I expect that, once she convinces her boyfriend, she will take one of them.

2. I just went into my main snake enclosure, and found - I'm not sure - maybe about another half dozen or so. I tore up the enclosure again, looking for hidden stragglers, but I'm still not 100% certain I got them all. But, yeah, I have pretty close to a dozen babies now.

I hadn't seen any of these guys before, and they all seemed to be coated with some sort of membrane, similar in appearance to an incomplete shed, but not quite as thick, and not quite the same looking. I hadn't seen any of these guys before, so I'm thinking they were born more recently - like maybe today. I doubt they are Little Dude's, but I'm not sure; maybe Piggy's?

I never intended to get into breeding these boogers. In fact, I was hoping to avoid that entirely. But now, I have no idea what to do with these guys. And, there is a strong likelihood I will need to move within the next few months, and if so, will need to find homes for these guys.

Didymus20X6
07-27-2013, 06:23 PM
I just gave the new sneakies a bath. That "skin" came right off for most of them. I counted a total of 11, not counting the others, for a total of 15.

The new ones are darker and greener than the others. I'll try to get pics later.

So, anyone wanting any baby Easterns, you're welcome to them! Just figure out a way to get them from me, and they are yours.

jwolfe152
07-27-2013, 10:40 PM
i would love to have some babies but i think im going to wait to breed mine for a few babies and sell a few pretty cheap

Didymus20X6
08-01-2013, 11:31 AM
Well, never mind about the baby snakes. They all seem to have died. I had the enclosure outside, and apparently, they overheated. I didn't think it was that hot, and I had a bowl of water in there. And they were only outside for less than an hour. But apparently, that was enough to overheat them.

Although I had no intention of keeping the babies, I really hate that this happened, and I feel horrible.

guidofatherof5
08-01-2013, 01:09 PM
That is a shame. Poor little scrubs.

Stefan-A
08-01-2013, 01:44 PM
Very sorry to hear it.

It's the second time it's happened to a member.

Didymus20X6
08-01-2013, 01:56 PM
The saddest part to me: as I was removing their bodies from the enclosure, some of them still looked just like they did when they were alive.

And now I have to tell my friend that I don't have any to give her now.