PDA

View Full Version : Is crape myrtle tree wood snake safe?

celbii
07-01-2013, 12:57 PM
Hello All,
I recently trimmed my tree and debarked some crape myrtle tree branches to put in my colurbrids tank. I cannot find however any place that states if it is or is not a safe wood. Does anyone have experience with this wood and snakes?

ConcinusMan
07-01-2013, 01:42 PM
Even many types of cedar are safe when whole and used in a well ventilated tank. It's when it gets shredded up and used as substrate, that it's toxic. Just avoid cedar/pine, especially shavings/green wood and you're OK. really you should only use seasoned wood. Your tree is a dense hard wood and is safe to use as climbing/decor but avoid green sappy wood of any kind.

celbii
07-01-2013, 02:34 PM
Even many types of cedar are safe when whole and used in a well ventilated tank. It's when it gets shredded up and used as substrate, that it's toxic. Just avoid cedar/pine, especially shavings/green wood and you're OK. really you should only use seasoned wood. Your tree is a dense hard wood and is safe to use as climbing/decor but avoid green sappy wood of any kind.

Thanks for the reply ConcinnusMan! I felt bad after spending all the hours trimming my trees than debarking and shaving the sharp nubs off these branchs and baking them lol. Some of the branches are a bit younger and they were all live when cut off. All I did was bake them at 225 for 30 minutes. Do you think this is okay? I may go back and bake them again today.

ConcinusMan
07-15-2013, 01:08 PM
Just want to avoid sappy green residues regardless of the type of tree since this has the potential to be toxic or irritating. I would only use well-seasoned wood left to cure for year or two. Not sure that baking would help because there's a process that takes time and releases gasses that might be harmful. No rivers/creeks nearby? that's where I get very nice seasoned/sun bleached heavy hardwood for my tanks. Alder is great and nearly as heavy and durable as stone. it's also very dense and not very porous. Easy 2 clean without water logging it.