PDA

View Full Version : Litter # I lost count-Erythristic flames het snow

Jeff B
06-19-2013, 09:26 PM
My erythristic flame 100% het Schuet snow 50% poss het bluegrass albino had a nice litter this morning. 18 babies total. I rotated two different erythristic flame males thru her. One was het snow and the other was not. Looks like the one that was not het snow did most of the work, but the het snow must have tried, because one babies born was an amazing solid orange snake, which I am not sure if it was an extreme erythristic albino or a ery snow (pic 1), but unfortunately it didn't live thru the day. Truly sad, one of the prettiest snakes I have ever produced. Some of these babies are going to be smoking erythristic flames (pic 2), they don't look like much now but the erythristics come on strong. The mother of this litter was also the mom to the snake in the (3rd pic) produced last year.

ConcinusMan
06-19-2013, 09:50 PM
Those babies are smokin hot already and they were just born! Holy smokes. That orange thing has got to be the weirdest thing I've ever seen. How strange. If I had to guess I would think it was an erythristic snow. Do those even exist yet?

Man, I would snatch up some of these in a heartbeat if it didn't take us poor folks a friggen year of sacrificing and grueling saving to do it. Nice litter! and I think said it before about that bottom pic.. "wow!"

Dan72
06-19-2013, 10:06 PM
Wow! Would have liked to have seen the one make it. Make you want to do the same pairing next year and see what happens.

Jeff B
06-19-2013, 10:19 PM
I think it might have been a erythristic snow, but not sure. The snake glowed like an orange peel. I had to help it out of the membrane this morning and when I went to work it was alive but kinda sluggish and so were a couple litter mates and my experience is those ones have a coin flip if they will live more than a couple hours if they don't take off and start crawling around. When I got home from work the others were fine but the orange one was dead and I was very sad to say the least. I can't even imagine what that snake would have looked like as a full grown adult. Like I said I rotated two males and one wasn't quite big enough, so I will likely breed that guy next year exclusively because he is likely het snow. I think the bigger male did most of the sireing and did not prove het for snow or there would have been more than one.

Dan72
06-19-2013, 10:21 PM
Sounds awesome, I already can't wait for next year.

guidofatherof5
06-20-2013, 06:36 AM
Great new on the living scrubs. Sorry for your losses.

mikem
06-20-2013, 09:41 AM
Awesome litter, Jeff! Too bad about the orange baby. Never seen anything like that!

BLUESIRTALIS
06-20-2013, 10:21 AM
Sweet litter Jeff! I hate you lost the orange one.:( That was a sweet little snake. Man you got some nice flames in that litter!

Jeff B
06-20-2013, 08:26 PM
Thanks guys, I really would have liked to see the orange one grow up. Believe it or not those babies got even more orange and red in one day.

Eddie
06-20-2013, 10:13 PM
Awesome litter!
Got to try that pairing again for sure!

ConcinusMan
06-21-2013, 04:20 AM
Never seen anything like that!

Because there's never existed anything like that.

snakeman
06-21-2013, 06:08 AM
You know how you sometimes get one snake that sucks up all the color? Looks like that happened

Jeff B
06-21-2013, 06:56 PM
Yeah Tom, unfortunately sucking that much color angered the snake gods and the result was lethal. I wonder if I should have just put that snake in a humidity chamber and let it come out of the membrane on its own? You always think, what should I have done differently and how could I have saved that snakes life? Sometimes nature just craps on our plans.

ConcinusMan
06-22-2013, 06:33 PM
The combo just might be lethal anyway no matter what you do. :cool:

Mommy2many
06-23-2013, 09:45 AM
Congratulations!

Jeff B
06-23-2013, 01:09 PM
The combo just might be lethal anyway no matter what you do. :cool:

I don't think that is the case here. This snake was just born a bit premature, which happens. The albino types are simple recessives and the erythristic and flame have continuous variable level of expression, rather than descrete on/off.
I think that snake may have been a erythristic bluegrass albino and wouldn't have any reason to think that combination would be leathal.

ConcinusMan
06-23-2013, 04:59 PM
Next time just shove it back up there so it can finish "baking" LoL

Jeff B
06-23-2013, 11:42 PM
Next time just shove it back up there so it can finish "baking" LoL

LOL good one, would be nice, but that would be quite the challenge. That's why I was thinking maybe if I put it on moist paper towels and put in an incubator for a day or however long it took until it emerged on its own if that would have been possible, basically a garter snake NICU.

ConcinusMan
06-24-2013, 01:07 AM
It's plausible that could work under the right conditions but once it's out you might have a hard time keeping it from being attacked by fungi and microorganisms. I've saved broken incubating bird eggs before but sometimes it doesn't work because they mold.

Once the garter snake egg is out, it loses the protection of mom's immune system and without a shell it's going to be very vulnerable.

Dan72
05-29-2015, 07:30 AM
So bumping this because it was my favorite litter that year. The scrubs of this pairing are amazing looking I can only believe they got better with time. Don't get me started on how awesome that all orange one would have been. So Jeff, please fill us in. Did you holdback any, ;). How are they doing? Updated pics, any nugget of info would be appreciated.

Zdravko092368
05-29-2015, 09:13 AM
I've been fascinated by this snake ever since I saw it posted on your website, nice to see the original thread and the photo of it again.

Jeff B
05-30-2015, 09:30 AM
I did hold back one female and am still hoping she is prig and will have some babies this spring yet. She is a nice looking very flame but nothing spectacular actually. The momma in the second picture looks very prego now and hoping she will pop soon.

Dan72
05-30-2015, 09:53 AM
Nice, hope both of these girls work out this season.

Dan72
05-30-2015, 08:39 PM
Jeff forgot to ask, were the mom and daughter paired with the sire that produced the orange snake or did you go a different route?

Jeff B
05-30-2015, 10:10 PM
unfortunately that male died during brumation. I paired them with this male who is also het snow.

Dan72
12-22-2015, 02:01 PM
This post I'm also bumping up in hopes any forum members might recall where this litter ended up, maybe a pair was picked up in hopes that all orange snake genes are floating around in the siblings.

I know Jeff you probably have plenty of pairings in mind and you don't need my two cents, but I hope you have not given up on trying to make that orange one a reality.

Jeff B
12-22-2015, 07:09 PM
I don't have the snakes that produced that litter anymore, however I do have the female that is in the 3 pic that is related. Hopefully she will produce babies this year. She took last year off.