PDA

View Full Version : Faecal Checks - Is this normal?

NickB
06-12-2013, 10:25 AM
I'm acquiring a few WC snakes in the next week so I rang my local vet in advance to find out what they charge. They said they charge £38 ($59) for faecal checks however as I want to get multiple snakes examined I could put all of their faeces into one container and then have that container checked. Then if if comes back with parasites we can go from there or possibly treat all of the snakes. They said they don't test them at their facilities they send them off to another lab, my concern is that at the lab they would just get a bit of the faeces out and check only a small amount of it. Does this method sound like it would work to you? I just want to be safe. Thanks!

guidofatherof5
06-12-2013, 10:40 AM
I'm acquiring a few WC snakes in the next week so I rang my local vet in advance to find out what they charge. They said they charge £38 ($59) for faecal checks however as I want to get multiple snakes examined I could put all of their faeces into one container and then have that container checked. Then if if comes back with parasites we can go from there or possibly treat all of the snakes. They said they don't test them at their facilities they send them off to another lab, my concern is that at the lab they would just get a bit of the faeces out and check only a small amount of it. Does this method sound like it would work to you? I just want to be safe. Thanks!

The only problem I see is you will possibly be subjecting 2 animals to unnecessary treatment. Usually Panacur is used and it has proven to be safe in most situations.
I understand the money saving idea but thought I should bring up this issue.

NickB
06-12-2013, 11:09 AM
The only problem I see is you will possibly be subjecting 2 animals to unnecessary treatment. Usually Panacur is used and it has proven to be safe in most situations.
I understand the money saving idea but thought I should bring up this issue.

I've rang two vets now and both suggested this method of taking one sample from all snakes so this must be a commonplace practise at least locally to me. I understand your concern. I'm going to mull it over a bit before I make a decision.

Foxrun402
06-12-2013, 03:23 PM
Yeah..... I would go to the nearest fast food joint with little sauce cups that have lids!!!!! fast!!! grab a crap ton of them and the lids!!

Then put each specimen into a sauce cup, put a lid on, sharpie the snakes name on the lid, BOOM.... no confusion.... =)

Just would not put all specimens into the same container.

NickB
06-12-2013, 03:40 PM
Yeah..... I would go to the nearest fast food joint with little sauce cups that have lids!!!!! fast!!! grab a crap ton of them and the lids!!

Then put each specimen into a sauce cup, put a lid on, sharpie the snakes name on the lid, BOOM.... no confusion.... =)

Just would not put all specimens into the same container.

After speaking to a vet that I quite respect for about 15 minutes or so I think I'm going to get the Ribbon snake done separately and Natrix tesselata pair done together. The thought behind it is that the Natrix tesselata are both coming in the same shipment and being kept together so they will likely share the same parasites regardless.

guidofatherof5
06-12-2013, 03:56 PM
Good decision.