PDA

View Full Version : First death.

RedSidedSPR
06-04-2013, 09:22 AM
I don't know why I haven't hardly posted here, probably because my computer and iPod touch died, and I only just got this iPad.. That and I just haven't had any news.

Anyway, the female of the two little anery concinnus from Richard also just died. She never really ate as much as she should, and wasn't growing like the male, but she did eat, sometimes a lot and she always seemed healthy. Extremely active, constantly biting, seemed fine. She hadn't eaten in 2 weeks, but my snakes do that all the time so I didn't worry about it. Then she just died. She was lying under the heat, thought she was sleeping. Nothing weird.

Really pisses me off because of the whole anery thing. I was really looking forward to these two as adults. It really, really sucks.

The male is great though.. he's getting huge now, despite the slow start. Eats like a pig now.

So yeah. There's your update. Sorry I haven't been on.

guidofatherof5
06-04-2013, 10:23 AM
Sorry to hear this.

GSSDS-(Garter Snake Sudden Death Syndrome) Nothing official but that's what I would call it.

mikem
06-04-2013, 11:14 AM
Sorry for your loss :(

EKS56
06-04-2013, 11:54 AM
:(

chris-uk
06-04-2013, 11:56 AM
Never good however it happens, but a healthy snake out of the blue really blows. Sorry for your loss.

RedSidedSPR
06-04-2013, 01:25 PM
Never good however it happens, but a healthy snake out of the blue really blows.

It really does.

Invisible Snake
06-04-2013, 04:47 PM
Sorry to hear it :(

kueluck
06-05-2013, 05:45 AM

ConcinusMan
06-19-2013, 11:21 AM
Oh crap! Sorry to hear that. Babies are due again very, very soon.

RedSidedSPR
06-19-2013, 01:37 PM
oh, really? Anery and everything?

I guess I'll be buying another.

ConcinusMan
06-19-2013, 02:37 PM
Three large and nice blue females which I brumated over the winter locked up with 2 males and are actually close to being overdue. I'm only sure about two of them and even then I wasn't sure (I didn't bother with keeping track of weight I just figured if it worked I'll know soon enough) until recently when they just blew up with scale spread and they are now all over the place, won't sit still and are literally lugging their back ends around like it's full of lead. But they haven't stopped eating yet. So I speculate perhaps around 2 more weeks but who knows they could come any day now. Just wait and see what the results are. I might send you one for just the shipping.

RedSidedSPR
06-19-2013, 03:01 PM
Sweet, I'll definitely be getting one or two. Happy to pay for them, but that would be awesome.

The males they locked up with were blue as well?

Foxrun402
06-19-2013, 03:36 PM
:( Sorry to hear about that, I hope you are doing ok.

RedSidedSPR
06-19-2013, 10:23 PM
I'm good.. thanks

gregmonsta
06-20-2013, 05:24 AM
Sorry to hear it.

ConcinusMan
06-22-2013, 07:34 PM
The males they locked up with were blue as well?

Yes. Out of all of last season's herping, I chose the fittest best colored bluest males to keep for breeders and same goes for the females. That doesn't necessarily mean the offspring will be the bluest or fittest since it's genetic polymorphism/variable expression probably due to the presence of other color genes at different loci interacting on one another, but it can't hurt the odds. I'm sure many of the babies will grow up to be some spectacular blue anerys. Look at Steve's female. That one only had one blue parent (the mother) and was born normal. ;)

http://www.biology-online.org/dictionary/Genetic_polymorphism

RedSidedSPR
06-22-2013, 07:49 PM
Sweeet. Yeah, I'm really excited to see what happens.

By the way.. The remaining of the two you sent me, and the dead one for that matter, has yet to change in color.. noticeably at least. Obviously it's early, but do you know if any others from that litter are noticeably more anery? Still really curious to how he'll end up.

ConcinusMan
06-22-2013, 08:15 PM
Sweeet. Yeah, I'm really excited to see what happens.

By the way.. The remaining of the two you sent me, and the dead one for that matter, has yet to change in color.. noticeably at least. Obviously it's early, but do you know if any others from that litter are noticeably more anery?

No, not really and it's rather disappointing but believe me it happens all the time. Like I was saying that blue one steve has, I sent as a normal and in all aspects it looked perfectly normal. Not even a particularly nice normal but it was as orange as any other normal I find around here. Heck it might even be one of Big Bertha's babies and she's a WA normal and I bred her to a hyopoery from Oregon. Male wasn't even anery or blue. More like yellow-spotted.

RedSidedSPR
06-23-2013, 06:52 AM
Yeah... that polymorphism stuff is interesting.

Mommy2many
06-23-2013, 09:36 AM
Sorry to hear of your loss, Jesse. Glad to hear Richard should have more for you soon, though.

ProXimuS
06-23-2013, 03:25 PM
Sorry to hear about this.