PDA

View Full Version : Regurgitation from over feeding?

kueluck
06-02-2013, 08:43 AM
Yesterday it was pinkie day for the girls and I might have overfeed Sadie. She took 3 pinkies, which she usually eats 2, but since she took it, I figured it was okay. About 3 hours later I found 3 regurgitated pinkies in the enclosure all laid out in a row. I figured it was Sadie since the other two still had a nice bulge in their mid section. She seems perfectly normal showing no signs of distress or illness so I offered up 2 fresh pinkies which she took without hesitation. Later on last night she's fine nothing wrong, this morning every same as always.

My question is: If they over eat will they regurgitate all the food in their system? Can they regulate just what and how much they purge?

Foxrun402
06-02-2013, 10:21 AM
My question is: If they over eat will they regurgitate all the food in their system? Can they regulate just what and how much they purge?

I'm not too sure of this, I wouldn't think they would have much control over what comes out during that action. Can you control how much you puke or what comes out? It's very odd to think about it that way but I'm sure it may be similar for almost all species of living things, Sure we can stop it at times when we can somewhat control it, but if it happened on a full stomach majority or basically anything in there would come out. I have not had Suzi do this yet but I have not fed her 3 pinkies before, she is only 9 months... But she does eat 2 at a time now, and even that seems a bit much for her size...

As a younger garter eats food they become more restricted on breathing as well, Their lung capacity is far greater on an empty stomach compared to a full stomach. This is why younger garters require smaller food pieces and eat much less because they can also breathe easier on less food. So they eat less, but more often. If The garter that regurgitated is just a small baby-yearling may be possible the 3rd pinky caused to much air restriction to the lungs and made her/him uncomfortable forcing regurgitation... then dumped it all and took a huge breath of air... Just my thought... Seen this happen lol

kueluck
06-02-2013, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the input on this. Kinda what I thought, just lookin' for some confirmation on this.

guidofatherof5
06-02-2013, 11:14 AM
I agree with Jonathan. It's all or nothing kind of thing.