PDA

View Full Version : bad news mates...

garterman07
07-05-2007, 04:02 PM
rico got out and has been missing now for a whole day...and i fear the worst :( does any one at all have tips on how i can find him. i live in a relativly small apartment. i went to the store to get him some minnows and i came home and he was gone...:( this day really has just gone down the drain.

Lee
07-05-2007, 04:51 PM
Put the minnows somewhere where he can get to them, and put a few scented pinks or something in various locations. He will smell them and probably come out of hiding. :)

adamanteus
07-05-2007, 04:54 PM
Chris, you lost Rico again? You really must review your enclosure security! I hope you find him soon, but when you do why not check over his vivarium and find out why he keeps escaping. Prevention is better than cure, Chris.

garterman07
07-05-2007, 05:39 PM
first time he got out i fixed that problem. this time i know how as well. theres only one ps2 in my house and my sister and friends wanted to go play it and its in my room so i was like sure why not... bad choice they found out i had a snake and wanted to play with it, and they did and put him back and closed the cage but it was open just big enough to fit a rico through and what do u know next day hes gone...and hes geting ready to shed again to so i really hope i find him cause hes going to be hungry.

drache
07-05-2007, 06:39 PM
you have a better chance of finding him when he's hungry
use above mentioned food lures and stay alert

drache
07-05-2007, 06:42 PM
btw
I've never once found an escaped snake by looking for it
I've always found them by being around when it was quiet enough for the snake to want to come out

garterking
07-06-2007, 09:23 AM
rico got out and has been missing now for a whole day...and i fear the worst :( does any one at all have tips on how i can find him. i live in a relativly small apartment. i went to the store to get him some minnows and i came home and he was gone...:( this day really has just gone down the drain.

First, I would put towels or something under the doors so if he is still in your apartment, he stays there. You wouldn't want to find him next door where there may be a cat or..... (Nevermind, you get the idea)

Also, if he's about to shed. If you find his skin, you know where he's been and can start there or at least you know he's still in your apartment. Plus you can put a food source close by and hope to find him that way. A buddy of mine found his after 2 weeks by lowering the temp. in his place, but putting a heat source in the middle of the room. One day he found him warming himself and the problem was solved.

Good luck.

KITKAT
07-06-2007, 11:16 AM
Gremlins Run Amok!

KITKAT
07-06-2007, 11:18 AM
Use a flashlight to thoroughly search the furnace vents. Then, if he is not there, pull the vent covers up, insert gauze or netting over the bottom of the vent cover, and re-insert.

garterman07
07-06-2007, 01:37 PM
i have 3 cats and i have been using them to try and locate him. if they start to act funny know hes around cause the cats hate him and are terrifed they start hissing and mewing. but so far no luck and it is now day 2

adamanteus
07-06-2007, 03:31 PM
Don't give up, Chris. There's hope yet.

KITKAT
07-06-2007, 10:51 PM
i have 3 cats and i have been using them to try and locate him. if they start to act funny know hes around cause the cats hate him and are terrifed they start hissing and mewing. but so far no luck and it is now day 2

That is exactly how I found my pickeringii when they were loose. My cats were staring at the book case, and the snake was underneath.:eek:

Stefan-A
07-07-2007, 12:19 AM
I think that's also how a local owner found her proximus, except that the cat had killed it.

But this isn't the first time dogs or cats have helped locating escaped snakes, I've heard people mention how the animals have pretty much shown exactly where the snakes had been hiding. I'd be careful, though.

Morph
07-07-2007, 03:05 AM
and hes geting ready to shed again to so i really hope i find him cause hes going to be hungry.

at least if he sheds then you will find his skin and know he's still in the appartment.

Good luck

garterman07
07-07-2007, 12:18 PM
i was watching my cats and they started staring at the stove...so i looked under it and was like omg!!! its rico!@!!!! only to stick my hand in there and get bit by a stupid centipede. and there was no rico under there just some centipede the cats chased in there...as soon as the swelling goes down i shall continue my hunt for rico.

day 3

Lulu Bennett
07-07-2007, 01:03 PM
unlucky mate! keep thoes high hope tho he will show up eventually just keep some mice scattered round the house but dont let the cats at them lol or it will be fruitless xxx

adamanteus
07-07-2007, 01:21 PM
Ouch! We're lucky, we don't have any centipedes in the UK that can inflict much damage.

KITKAT
07-07-2007, 05:58 PM
i was watching my cats and they started staring at the stove...so i looked under it and was like omg!!! its rico!@!!!! only to stick my hand in there and get bit by a stupid centipede. and there was no rico under there just some centipede the cats chased in there...as soon as the swelling goes down i shall continue my hunt for rico.

day 3

Wet the wound and cake it with Aldolf's meat tenderizer. Works great.:eek:

CrazyHedgehog
07-08-2007, 04:33 AM
what? centipedes bite?
may sound a stupid question....but how big are centipedes in the us (they are about 1 inch here)

Morph
07-08-2007, 07:20 AM
if this doesnt work i'm all out of ideas

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/5343/untitledni2.png (http://imageshack.us)

Stefan-A
07-08-2007, 07:49 AM
Definitely wouldn't want to get bit by a Scolopendra gigantea. ;) It's not just the size (30cm length), it's also the neurotoxin.

At least, I think it was a neurotoxin. ;)

CrazyHedgehog
07-08-2007, 10:59 AM
thanks, have looked them up now, how creepy!

Lulu Bennett
07-08-2007, 12:00 PM
oh my lord!!! they're monsters!!!:eek:

garterman07
07-08-2007, 02:46 PM
wo0t! found rico!!! well actually mom found him again. he was in the compartment under the stove with all the pans. mom went to get a frying pan to make lunch, and i hear ahhh!!!!! the snake!!!!!

adamanteus
07-08-2007, 02:47 PM
Great news, Chris! Nail the bloody lid on now!!:rolleyes: :D

drache
07-08-2007, 03:58 PM
hey
congrats that's great news
Mikhaila thinks you should rename Rico - Houdini
I told her Rico can't do the heavy duty stuff

Lulu Bennett
07-08-2007, 04:19 PM
i agree houdini sounds great lol fits him lol

GarterGirl
07-08-2007, 04:24 PM
That is so great Chris!
If I lost a snake and found him again,
I'd be so happy that I'd throw a party for him if I could!

garterman07
07-08-2007, 05:06 PM
lol in a way i did i baught him a new cage and lid. i had some great expirences trying to catch him. set food up and waited all night and when i fell asleep aparently he came out and ate the minnows in the water dish and slithered off some where again lol. rico has officially been named rico houdi!!!! i'm kinda on a high right now cause i found rico and my tarantula molted and 2 of my monarch butterflies hatched out of their crysalis

adamanteus
07-08-2007, 05:09 PM
Chris, do you have a camera? If so, get busy with it! Let's see these animals.

ScimitarX
07-08-2007, 05:24 PM
Wow, so happy you found him again!!:D

garterman07
07-08-2007, 07:20 PM
thank!!! to all of you for helpin me through a tough time its stressful for me when i lose an animal.

and i posted a couple pics of rico and one of rossie and the butterflies on the gallery. i usually get some strange animals come through my house pretty often usually turtles and other indigenous snakes. so i can start posting some pics of them. a while ago i had giant snaping turtle named shelster that i recently released