PDA

View Full Version : Knowsley safari park

Lulu Bennett
07-05-2007, 11:57 AM
:eek: went to knowsley yesterday and it was fab! Gutted tho. all the animals they had and there was only one viv of snakes. well here they are...

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//560/medium/rat_snakes.jpg

Rat snakes i believe. they were cool tho. i put my finger on the glass and the followed my finger lol wow!:D
i'll try and put more pics in my gallery of other animals. some cool pics inc a fantastic lioness lying watching us lol

adamanteus
07-05-2007, 12:06 PM
It can be disappointing when you visit a place like that and they have no real reptile collection. Have you been to Chester Zoo? They have a decent collection.

Stefan-A
07-05-2007, 12:10 PM
Sure look like Pantherophis obsoletus. More than one subspecies? Or is that an Emory's ratsnake? Not that good at telling the difference yet. :D

Lulu Bennett
07-05-2007, 12:10 PM
It can be disappointing when you visit a place like that and they have no real reptile collection. Have you been to Chester Zoo? They have a decent collection.

yeah a have a pic of an anaconda with a turkey in its belly lol quite fuzzy tho and a major reflection off the glass. it had been fed on the thursday and i was there on the sunday so it must have been a bloody big turkey lol. i will try and dig out the pic. :D

Lulu Bennett
07-05-2007, 12:11 PM
Sure look like Pantherophis obsoletus. More than one subspecies?

i'm guessing thats the latin for a rat snake?? lol

adamanteus
07-05-2007, 12:14 PM
P. o. spilloides and possibly an intergrade?

Lulu Bennett
07-05-2007, 12:19 PM
lol thanks

just looked through my pics from the zoo i cant find it! im GUTTED! dont know how its gone because i wouldn't have deleted it :mad:

adamanteus
07-05-2007, 12:21 PM
lol thanks

just looked through my pics from the zoo i cant find it! im GUTTED! dont know how its gone because i wouldn't have deleted it :mad:

I'm sorry, you'll have to go back and take the picture again!:rolleyes:

Stefan-A
07-05-2007, 12:21 PM
Lulu,
Sorry, have gotten used to using the scientific names (not necessarily latin, I think it's actually greek in this case) instead of common names. :D It's easier to keep track of 31 garter species and their subspecies that way.

adamanteus
07-05-2007, 12:23 PM
All of them?

The grey is spilloides, I suspect the others to be a spilloides X quadrivittata intergrade.

Lulu Bennett
07-05-2007, 12:29 PM
i wish i could get that pic again it was a fantastic view.

the only scientific name i know is Marcianus is a checkered lol not a chance i will remember all the scientific name for all snakes lol

adamanteus
07-05-2007, 12:30 PM
not a chance i will remember all the scientific name for all snakes lol

You will....in time.:)

Lulu Bennett
07-05-2007, 12:35 PM
i hope so but with my memory i doubt it very much lol

Stefan-A
07-05-2007, 12:42 PM
the only scientific name i know is Marcianus is a checkered lol not a chance i will remember all the scientific name for all snakes lol
Neither will I, but the benefit is, that once you get used to using them, you can pretty much instantly figure out where it's from and what kind of snake it is. Sometimes the name tells you something about its environment, habits or appearance. I absolutely love the system. :D Sometimes, you can even figure out its common name.

adamanteus
07-05-2007, 12:49 PM
Neither will I, but the benefit is, that once you get used to using them, you can pretty much instantly figure out where it's from and what kind of snake it is. Sometimes the name tells you something about its environment, habits or appearance. I absolutely love the system. :D Sometimes, you can even figure out its common name.

So true....Dinodon rufozonatum; A red banded species with enlarged teeth! Look it up!

Stefan-A
07-05-2007, 12:53 PM
Of that name, Dinodon was the only part that I could have figured out by myself. :D

adamanteus
07-05-2007, 12:55 PM
Of that name, Dinodon was the only part that I could have figured out by myself. :D

Rufo = red, zonatum = banded (or zoned).

Stefan-A
07-05-2007, 12:58 PM
..and probably zonatum. :D More used to thinking of fasciatus or vittatus as meaning banded or striped, though. zonatum should be easy enough to figure out. ;)

What would you call a North American snake, that's spotted and has four lines along its body? ;)
edit: should probably add, that its colors are dull. ;)

Lulu Bennett
07-06-2007, 02:26 PM
i found it but i had to look it up. its a red banded odd-tooth snake aka. madara. found Tsushima Islands and Senkakusyoto Islands lol i cant even pronounce the scientific name for it :confused: lol

adamanteus
07-06-2007, 03:28 PM
I've kept and bred Dinodon in the past. Bit boring to be honest, they're always under the substrate and they're awkward feeders.