PDA

View Full Version : 3 more litters in the past 2 days

Scott F
05-17-2013, 09:48 PM
Had one litter yesterday and two today, they are in chronological order:

Double het snow red sided female (from albino female x anerythristic male) bred to Double het snow red sided female (from anerythristic female x albino male) produced
1.7 Kansas albino red sideds, 0.3 anerythristics, 2.3 snows and 4.12 66 Hets

Xmas albino plains female bred to extreme high red hypo plains & Iowa albino males-all the babies came out normal which means the hypo bred, really excited about this
project, ultimately producing a xmas hypo, should be an amazing looking morph-she produced 5.8, one female is what I would call extreme hypo, she is visual hypo at birth
which is unusual for hypomelanism.

Lastly, bred a het hybino female to a het hybino male and got 0.3 albino/hybinos (some of these may turn into visual hybinos over time) and 1.11 66% poss het albino/hybino,
some of these will end up being hypos or red hypos. These are really wierd ratios, checked the records on last year's babies sexes and they were high female too, something
with this lineage lends it to higher females for whatever reason. Have one more brood waiting from these bloodlines, will be interesting to see how they turn out.

I am going to try and get pics up this weekend.

Scott

aSnakeLovinBabe
05-17-2013, 09:52 PM
congrats! news on the pieds yet?!

Tarzier
05-17-2013, 10:03 PM
I gotta say, all those numbers and decimal points kind of go over my head when it comes to the morphs(Or whatever you call them) of these snakes, but it sounds like you got yourself a handful(Or two). Bet they all look great, congrats.

mikem
05-17-2013, 10:24 PM
Congrats on the litters! Can't wait to see the pics :)

Scott F
05-18-2013, 10:28 AM
Thanks all, Tarzier, 4.2 means 4 males, 2 females, 4.2.1 means the same with the one being of unknown gender. Hey Shannon, Still working on figuring out if the pied trait is inheritable or not.

Scott

aSnakeLovinBabe
05-18-2013, 11:48 AM
Thanks all, Tarzier, 4.2 means 4 males, 2 females, 4.2.1 means the same with the one being of unknown gender. Hey Shannon, Still working on figuring out if the pied trait is inheritable or not.

Scott

dang!!! Did any litters drop? I am assuming if they did, the results weren't very good :(

snakeman
05-18-2013, 01:21 PM
Did any litters drop? Because I've had my doubts about those babies.

Scott F
05-18-2013, 01:57 PM
Hey who messed with my " morel litter" ;) Thanks for catching it Steve !

Scott

Eddie
05-18-2013, 07:28 PM
My female het pied had 14 still borns the other day. They were big fully developed babies but dead. Very depressing. None of them looked to be pied. They were as big as Florida blue babies. I am not to hopeful on this project but I will try again next year.

aSnakeLovinBabe
05-19-2013, 02:45 PM
My female het pied had 14 still borns the other day. They were big fully developed babies but dead. Very depressing. None of them looked to be pied. They were as big as Florida blue babies. I am not to hopeful on this project but I will try again next year.

That is some sad news. Was this a breeding of two theoretical "100% hets?" I have had some doubts myself that that gene was going to prove out, but I have remained hopeful for all of those who have invested into the project because I know how much it would mean to some to have pied garter snakes. It did look pretty hopeful, considering the way the white was laid out and the "normal" colored parts of the snake had irregular pattern just like a pied BP.

guidofatherof5
05-19-2013, 03:19 PM
Sorry for your loss. Hang in there Eddie.

Eddie
05-19-2013, 09:01 PM
It's all a part of what we do. I was really hoping that the pied gene would prove out on the first try. It is possible that the sample size was just a bad ratio but I really have no idea. I will try again next year and hope for the best. The female is a monster and is eating again with no prob. She never went off feed the whole time. She reminds me so much of my Florida blues.
Thanks guys!

snakeman
05-20-2013, 07:19 AM
I hope they prove out. But, I steered clear of those hets for a reason.that pied female looked to be in no shape to produce babies.I hope the babies are from that snake.I always had my doubts though.

Jeff B
05-20-2013, 08:49 PM
I have little doubt that the original pied was genetic, because it looked identical to pied ball python, but the number of babies that came out of that snake was questionable and bit of a red flag for me. I guess if nobody ever produces a pied we will never know what really happened. Still worth the gamble for me, and I would guess Ed and Scott don't have any regrets either. Pretty disappointed in the result thus far but one good litter with a single pied next year would change EVERYTHING. Just the chance to produce a pied is worth a lot in my opinion and I am still hoping it pans out somehow, somewhere, for someone who can bring it to the hobby. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

aSnakeLovinBabe
05-20-2013, 09:11 PM
Whatever happened to that bill guy anyways?

BLUESIRTALIS
05-21-2013, 07:40 AM
Congrats scott!!!

Martinz21
05-21-2013, 10:13 PM
How are your plains projects coming?