PDA

View Full Version : Shedding in a Snake with Severe Dermatitis

d_virginiana
05-17-2013, 02:05 PM
I think Harley's about to shed again. Overnight all the scales on her body have started to look REALLY flaky. The thing that has me worried is that the dermatitis is so severe and damaged the scales badly enough that they've been bending in two. So many of the scales seem to be trying to come off in two pieces.

Right now I've got her in a 'shed box' made of a circular shipping container with some wet paper towels. I'm going to leave her in there for a few hours to hopefully loosen up the scales and maybe even get the whole shed started. Then I'm going to get what I can off with warm running water... Which I'm sure will be so much fun. She's been acting like her skin is more sensitive than normal, so it's going to be a fight the whole time.

I'd put pictures up, as her skin looks really weird; almost sunburned. But whenever I try to take a picture, it doesn't really show up...

guidofatherof5
05-17-2013, 02:14 PM
You've really sparked my interest in this situation. I sure wish photos were available.

d_virginiana
05-17-2013, 02:28 PM
I'll keep trying to get pics, but it just looks like her skin is dry. Doesn't really show the extent of the damage. The skin was so soft initially that she couldn't move normally because the belly scutes were completely soft. It's hardened up enough that she can move normally now, but the scales still haven't regrown the gloss on the outside.

That being said, it's much better than it was before her treatment. She got her last round of anti-parasite meds a couple days ago. I'm really hoping she won't need any more treatment for this. Also hoping that the skin underneath this shed will be healthier.

Tarzier
05-17-2013, 02:35 PM
That doesn't sound very fun for you or the snake, especially the snake. Best of luck to the new shed, hopefully the skin underneath will be better.

d_virginiana
05-17-2013, 04:28 PM
Quick update; the shed box didn't work, but the scales that were retained in her previous shed are flaking off very easily. I'm wondering if this is some sort of partial shed thing where the scales are trying to regrow that protective outer coat? The scales on her back look dry and flaky, but the ones on her belly actually look better, and are significantly harder than they have been...
Her eyes didn't go blue, but I wasn't sure if they would go noticeably blue since the eyecaps were retained? Anybody know about that?

For now I'm going to keep her humidity way up, and keep checking to see whether anything will start easily. I don't want to damage another layer of scales...

aSnakeLovinBabe
05-17-2013, 09:42 PM
I have no idea if thre have been previous threads already answering my questions, but has something like a fungal infection been ruled out?

d_virginiana
05-17-2013, 11:59 PM
I have no idea if thre have been previous threads already answering my questions, but has something like a fungal infection been ruled out?

I had a fecal done at an exotics vet, and they said they were surprised to find a type of strongyloides typically seen in mammals and known to cause dermatitis. The condition had been going on for almost two months (probably longer) before they found that, but she did start to improve both skin and eating with the treatment. Apparently the worms produce a toxin that prevents certain molecules in the skin from being synthesized correctly, which is why her scales have been so damaged/soft this whole time...

But this doesn't look fungal to me... It's widespread over the whole body, and didn't 'start' at a particular place like fungal infections would. If it's not a parasite, their next guess is something with her kidneys :(

Selkielass
05-18-2013, 05:19 AM
Be very gentle with her skin.
Id use some terrycloth wash cloths in the warm wet hide, and change them daily. Make sure she has pleasant dry sots to sun and hide, and give her time to sort this out herself- her skin sounds tender.

Thanks for keeping us updated on this interesting case.

d_virginiana
05-18-2013, 09:27 PM
Well, time for another update; she seems to be trying to shed again today, so she's in a shed box for a couple hours right now. She ate two mice earlier and seems to be feeling fine.

Still not sure if I think this is a real shed (since I check her every day and have not seen her eyes go blue) or just an attempt to wipe of dead skin. The scales seem to be regrowing their outer layer (the skin under what flakes off looks much healthier) which I imagine itches like hell kind of like a sunburn when it peels. Regardless, I'm keeping a really close eye on her to intervene if it starts to look retained and will keep doing a 'shed box' routine at least once a day until this clears up.

I really hope I never have to go through this with any of my other snakes. Harley is so calm that she'll literally just sit there and look at you even if you're doing something unpleasant. I really hope the next shed fixes things. She's the best tempered snake I've ever had. Even with a mouth infection as a baby, she'd just sit there and let me move her mouth around to put the meds on it.

d_virginiana
05-22-2013, 02:17 AM
Another update:

It's been several days since the flaking began, but I've noticed it seems to be solely on the most severely damaged ones (the keeled scales on her sides and back) and not at all on her underside or face, which weren't as badly damaged by the parasite and don't look to be in need of a shed. She's been spending a lot of time in her dish, and every day there is a LOT of skin left in it. Not whole scales, but little particles of skin that seem to have just fallen off in there.
Has anyone seen anything like this before?

I'm kind of wondering if maybe the shed is 'postponing' itself until that outer layer grows back on her scales... After all, that's most of what gets shed off, right?

I am starting to get concerned about how having such a high humidity all the time (it's the only thing that helps the skin at ALL)... I've got her in a large but fairly short tupperware container for the time-being. It's got holes poked in the top every two inches but still. We have to do a thorough cleanout every time she uses the bathroom (to prevent reinfection) so her big tank is really not an option...

Sonya610
05-22-2013, 01:57 PM
Gosh that is scary stuff! Thank goodness this did not spread to your other animals (or maybe they have been exposed but their immune system keeps it in check, like demodectic mange in dogs?)

Wish you the best. The humidity would worry me too, isn't that supposed to be a cause of dermatitis in some snakes?

d_virginiana
05-22-2013, 06:33 PM
I know it can cause scale infection/irritation, but more on the belly than the back and sides I'd think. I've been changing the newspaper bedding every day, so at least it's very clean, but still. Keeping her skin from being damaged more is my priority right now, so I guess I just have to watch for any issues that might be causing...

The others were almost definitely exposed to it, because I didn't realize it was more than a complicated shed at first so didn't have her separated or anything, but she was in her own tank before. Everyone else has had at least one successful shed since this happened though, so they don't seem to have it.