PDA

View Full Version : Litter #9 born red-sideds

Jeff B
05-13-2013, 08:35 PM
This was a surprising litter. The female dam is het Iowa strain albino red-sided which is a new strain of red-sided. Scott Felzer produced the het female two years ago by breeding the original wild caught Iowa albino red-sided female to an anerythristic male 66% poss. het. Kansas albino. The male sire of this litter was a double het Kansas strain albino and anerythristic (aka het snow). The Iowa strain albino is a very dark looking albino and it was believed that the Iowa strain and Kansas strain would not be compatible since they looked so different. However this litter produced 3 albinos and one anerythristic. The dam is 100% het for Iowa strain but had a chance to also be het for Kansas strain, since her father was an anerythristic male 66% poss. het. albino. Therefor we can not be sure if the Iowa albino and Kansas albino are compatible or not. It will be interesting to see as these albino grow if they look more like the Kansas strain albino of the Iowa strain albino. Ended up with 3 albinos, 1 anerythristic, and 8 normal. Unfortunately, no snows were produced, no slugs, but there was one stillborn anerythristic.
http://gartersnakemorph.com/images/redsidedlitter2.jpg

rickymar81
05-13-2013, 10:26 PM
Very nice scrubs.... I really like the anery:D

infernalis
05-14-2013, 04:31 AM
Congrats. That's one pretty litter.

guidofatherof5
05-14-2013, 05:19 AM
Awesome mix.

Dan72
05-14-2013, 05:55 AM
Jeff first off, way to go, great year so far. I do not get the genetics aspect of this hobby very well yet, but are the 8 normals all het then for albino and snow and anery? If yes, and the het for albino covers the Iowa and Kansas or could, will you be keeping this litter as hold backs due to the significance of what they might bring with future breeding?

BLUESIRTALIS
05-14-2013, 07:31 AM
Congrats again Jeff! Looks like the garter gods are in your favor this year for sure! I hope the rest pans out as well man!

Jeff B
05-14-2013, 08:17 AM
Jeff first off, way to go, great year so far. I do not get the genetics aspect of this hobby very well yet, but are the 8 normals all het then for albino and snow and anery? If yes, and the het for albino covers the Iowa and Kansas or could, will you be keeping this litter as hold backs due to the significance of what they might bring with future breeding?
Dan, initially in Febuary I did this breeding #1 because I did not have a male het iowa albino #2 I wanted to see if Iowa and Kansas are compatible albino strains #3 this would be a great outcrossing, compatible or not. So, I bred a double het for Kansas albino and anery (aka het snow)
So, fastfoward to yesterday, when I saw that there were albinos I immediately thought cool the two albino types are compatible. I called Scott Felzer to give him the news and I also wasn't expecting an anerythristic in the litter either. So, I asked him if there was a possibility that the dams father would have been het anery (which obviously the dam is het for Iowa albino AND anery)
Turns out that the dams mom was the original wild caught Iowa albino and the dams dad was an anerythristic, who's parents where both double hets (snow), making him 66% poss het. for Kansas albino as well.
So, bottom line is there is a slim chance that my female is het Iowa albino, het anerythristic, AND is also possibly het Kansas strain albino. Therefore, we can't be 100% positive it this litter proved out that the Kansas and Iowa strains are compatible or if I just proved out that the is het Kansas albino.
I think as these guys get some size that will give us more insight, because if they look more like the Iowa albino which looks very different than Kansas, then it may be that they are compatible and one copy each yields an animal that looks more like Iowa strain. This would be similar to the Candy/Toffee in ball pythons crossed to regular albinos and producing the Candinos/Toffinos. You can find a lot of information on that. Below is pictures of Iowa 1st then a pic of Kansas
http://www.albinogartersnake.com/images/3643Red_sided_albino_Iowa_strain_4_CB_07_adult_fem ale_01_25_2009.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_4VXrkZe4WmU/TMrGJDw0HHI/AAAAAAAAJxM/ynbhQ6Ym8gw/s1600/Thamnophis+parietalis+(red-sided)+albino.jpg

mikem
05-14-2013, 09:57 AM
Congrats on another litter! :cool:

Steveo
05-14-2013, 10:18 AM
Nice litter! Anery red-sided is one of my favorites.

BLUESIRTALIS
05-14-2013, 10:42 AM
Jeff is the Iowa albino a t+ and the Kansas a t-? My guess is that the babies will be the Kansas albino het for the Iowa albino which is very cool because you could get two very different looking albinos and snows in a litter! This is a very cool project!

Jeff B
05-14-2013, 07:12 PM
Jeff is the Iowa albino a t+ and the Kansas a t-? My guess is that the babies will be the Kansas albino het for the Iowa albino which is very cool because you could get two very different looking albinos and snows in a litter! This is a very cool project! Yeah is certainly looks like it might be t+ and t- and typically they are not compatible loci,

Eddie
05-14-2013, 08:29 PM
Congrats again!

Jeff B
05-16-2013, 12:15 AM
thanks again Ed. how many do you want?lol

reptileparadise
05-16-2013, 05:21 AM
Comparable to the toffee / toffino ballpython... That makes total sence!

Cool project!

Dan72
05-16-2013, 04:54 PM
Ed you should share the wealth, Jeff I'll take the albino on the right side of the photo and the anery :D. Feel free to help Ed out with anything else.

Jeff B
05-16-2013, 09:09 PM
Hey, even the normal from this litter have a ton of potential and they are for sale.